Have a very small shop ? Looking for a small table saw ?

That's a nice saw, Charlie. Clean, too. 

My shop has a couple Shopsmiths. Both are very dusty.

Why two? Well, one has a router table stuck on it. I use that saw for ripping only. To change any thing on it is a pain in the patoot.

The other one powers all the accessories...Bandsaw, jointer, drill press, belt sander, etc. Plus, it's easier to move around.

Might have a bit of trivia about that Rockwell saw.......the old Rockwell factory that might have made that saw, is just north of my house...maybe 4 blocks.    Rockwell moved out a long time ago, but back in the 1960s, it was a very busy place.   My folks had a neighbor that was a manager there,  and he had about every Rockwell tool they made in his workshop. 

Factory building still stands, mainly as a wharehouse for used Honda racks and crates.      There was also a factory 20 miles north of here, in Kenton, OH....that old factory building has been torn down  a few years ago. 

The Bellefontaine, OH factory also supplied the local high schools with tools for their Industrial Arts classes.  

That's a nice saw and I agree, much better than the stuff today.    I was visiting my daughter a few years ago and SIL borrowed a modern one from a friend sot that I could put together a bookcase that week.   It was so awful, I just used a circular saw and guide.

A friend of mine had your exact model.   He got laid off when the pattern shop where he'd worked for 35 years, apprenticing there, closed.   He went into subbing patterns for his prior boss and filled in with custom furniture.   That was his saw for all those jobs.

Great saw Charlie! that there is a fantastic resto job or original? I'd be a proud of owner of that ol contractors saw any day, nice look, good ol fashioned American steel, nice!

The stand it is on, that's the original stand correct? Minus the mobile portion of it of course, but the stand it nice, has the same style they used on the Delta Rockwell Scroll Saws of the time.

Thanks guys. Gene, you probably know that Rockwell offered this saw with a 4" jointer, where one motor ran both pieces. Steven, that is a interesting but truly a sad story. John, If I remember correctly when I bought the saw it had a closed base stand, then I stumbled on this open stand, which was actually from a 10 inch Rockwell. The 9 inch open stands were smaller, but had the same style crows foot legs. A few years ago I had a different 34-607 that I had a Unifence ( pictured below ), and I sold it. I always regretted selling that saw, so I bought the one that I have now in the first post.

100_0005.JPG

Edited by CharlieL

Looks exactly like my 10" saw from that era.  Have you ever tried a 10" blade on it?  I just made a metal bushing on the lathe and mounted a 12'  blade on my 10" saw.  If I crank it as high as it will go it just hits the table.  Might run into trouble if I try to tilt the blade but don't anticipate doing that.  I am working at turning inside out vases and the blanks get a bit big.  I like trimming the ends and the bigger blade helps a lot.

Edited by HandyDan

Dan, it may look the same, but the physical size of the 9 inch saw cabinet and cast iron top is quite a bit smaller then the 10 inch model. Vermont American and Freud offer 9 inch blades, and is what I use with this 9 inch saw. Depth of cut is only a 1/2 of an inch shorter then what a 10 inch blade is in a 10 inch table saw. It's not worth the risk to me, and or the saw, to put a 10 inch blade in a 9 inch saw. In your situation with vases, would it not be better to use a 12 inch miter saw ?

Edited by CharlieL

• 4 months later...