Have a very small shop ? Looking for a small table saw ?

@CharlieL. Oh man that is sweet! Great work Charlie! Looks like it was manufactured from a professional plant that specializes in dust collection designs. Superb! Alright, I am a DC flunky, I know nothing about it other than the unit I have has a bag below and a bag above, and it works.

In your unit, you have the canister below, firstly, what is its purpose, and did you make that silver bucket? And, where do the bags go?

Man that looks sweet Charlie. 

John, the can I bought and added the side inlet, and added a port in the top lid. The advantages of having a separator or a cyclone is that most of the chips and dust drop into the separator before they get to the DC, and out of the impeller and bag. Less wear on the impeller, and the bag stays cleaner. Only one filter bag will directly come off of the 4" DC exhaust port, there is no lower bag. Currently I'm shopping for a filter bag. 

Edited by CharlieL

Nice. One thing I have not been able to do is get enough air moving to remove the dust and shavings from the bottom of my TS cabinet. Others have said I'll never remove all the shavings from the cabinet, but the dust collection is great to have when it's time to clean out the cabinet. Hmmm.

Anyway, nice tight set up you got there Charlie, I'd be hesitant to get it dirty it looks so nice, but hey, fire em up and let the dust go!

• 2 months later...
On 9/9/2017 at 11:33 AM, John Morris said:

Nice. One thing I have not been able to do is get enough air moving to remove the dust and shavings from the bottom of my TS cabinet. Others have said I'll never remove all the shavings from the cabinet, but the dust collection is great to have when it's time to clean out the cabinet. Hmmm.

Anyway, nice tight set up you got there Charlie, I'd be hesitant to get it dirty it looks so nice, but hey, fire em up and let the dust go!

With the Contractor's saws that I have, some dust remains around the outside of the dust hood perimeter, but not much. I took some closed cell foam and cut it into strips to fit between the cabinet's top lip and the underside of the cast iron top. I used double sided tape to fasten the foam strips to the top lip of the cabinet. I also did a little extra sheet metal work inside the saw to prevent the blade from throwing the dust out of the back side of the cabinet, it moves with the blade when tilting. Magnetic sign material works good to cover the slot in the front of the saw. Now most of the air needed to feed the DC comes in from the back of the saw, making it tough for dust to escape the partially open back. Along with a air filtration unit hung from the ceiling, It all works pretty well for me. It keeps the dust down in the shop, and all the sooner that I can remove a dust mask.

100_0015.jpg

100_0012.jpg

Edited by CharlieL

I had not realized you sold the original dust collector you posted- my fault for not following more closely.

I wish I had your talent for sheet metal fabrication!

I read/saw that you put casters on both the dust collector stand and the collection barrel for portability. Does the final dust collection bag cause any problems during the repositioning of the dust collector unit?

1 minute ago, CharlieL said:

I took some closed cell foam and cut it into strips to fit between the cabinet and the underside of the cast iron top. I used double sided tape to fasten the foam strips to the top lip of the cabinet.

Did that with my Grizz cabinet saw, my what a difference that made. The only thing I was concerned of at the time was if the manufacture designed the ventilation that way then it must be for a reason, but I took a chance anyway and sealed much of it off, and I have not had any over heating issues since I blocked much of the venting over 15 years ago, the saw still runs like a champ. And the DC seemed to like it better too.

2 minutes ago, CharlieL said:

Now most of the air needed to feed the DC comes in from the back of the saw,

I added a removable cover to the back of my saw. It attaches to the frame with magnets and has open slots for the belt and saw mounting mechanics. Bad part about this is I have to remember to remove the cover when tilting the saw blade. 

Like you, I use the magnetic sign pieces for the other slots. Love those free advertising magnetic "stickers"!

26 minutes ago, lew said:

I had not realized you sold the original dust collector you posted- my fault for not following more closely.

I wish I had your talent for sheet metal fabrication!

I read/saw that you put casters on both the dust collector stand and the collection barrel for portability. Does the final dust collection bag cause any problems during the repositioning of the dust collector unit?

Thankyou Lew. Good eye, the bag does sit on the floor some, a investment in taller wheels might be enough to get it off the floor. For now just lifting the bag some while moving the DC isn't a huge deal. 

Edited by CharlieL

21 minutes ago, John Morris said:

Did that with my Grizz cabinet saw, my what a difference that made. The only thing I was concerned of at the time was if the manufacture designed the ventilation that way then it must be for a reason, but I took a chance anyway and sealed much of it off, and I have not had any over heating issues since I blocked much of the venting over 15 years ago, the saw still runs like a champ. And the DC seemed to like it better too.

I think that as long as a person leaves atleast the same amount of opening in your saw as the dust port that your hooking up the dust hose up too you should be good. I've seen some people try to seal a machine up next to air tight, which I would think is going to suffocate the DC and result in very low air flow.

Edited by CharlieL

3 hours ago, John Morris said:

Did that to my Craftsman , But the Griz 1023 has vents on the door and I have not sealed that. However the griz does stack up dud in the slanted bottom that has to be cleaned occasionally. The thing for me is tha all of these need the overarm collection and even then a lot of that is on the saw table with some cuts.

5 hours ago, CharlieL said:

Thankyou Lew. Good eye, the bag does sit on the floor some, a investment in taller wheels might be enough to get it off the floor. For now just lifting the bag some while moving the DC isn't a huge deal. 

I was thinking about this a little more, and maybe it would be cheaper to just add a few inches to the top of the stand, then to go through the expense of 8 new casters.

Edited by CharlieL