Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Dear folks, help us raise funding for our community directly. And in the process you'll have a chance to win some terrific tools donated by our sponsors!  Read More...

oldwoodie

kink in bandsaw blade

Rate this topic

Accidentally caught a pc. of wood and the blade jerked it sideways leaving a bend in it. Any way to straighten it out. I paid a good bit for it, so when you are cheap, cheap, you try to salvage it! Thanks!

Edited by Ron Dudelston
tags added

6 hours ago, hatuffej said:

Happened to me once. Success depends on how much your blade is bent. I put my blade across an anvil and gently tapped it flat. Go slow. If it snaps later, so what?

hat

Have you ever had a broken blade come out of the saw on you?

This happened to my wife this summer. She was fortunate that the blade slapped the back of arm after it bounced off the table and stock but did not cut her.

My recommendation is do not use it. If or when it breaks it could come out of the saw like mentioned above.

It is nice to be frugal but we need to be sure that frugality does not come at a greater cost later.

10 hours ago, John Hechel said:

Have you ever had a broken blade come out of the saw on you?

This happened to my wife this summer. She was fortunate that the blade slapped the back of arm after it bounced off the table and stock but did not cut her.

My recommendation is do not use it. If or when it breaks it could come out of the saw like mentioned above.

It is nice to be frugal but we need to be sure that frugality does not come at a greater cost later.

Yes, one time a blade snapped and it stopped instantly because it was no longer held and driven by the drive wheel. There is virtually no momentum to keep it going and the blade is almost entirely enclosed. My answer to his question was a suggestion to consider repairing it. Its a personal choice and I would do it again. I also have considered Stick's suggestion to remove the bend and re-weld it. There is an element of risk associated with that also. 

On 1/26/2017 at 6:49 PM, oldwoodie said:

It still cuts, but it makes a wider cut and it is not very smooth. I am thinking that if I take a sharpening rock against the sides, it might help some.

Toss it and learn. By grinding off the metal you make the blade THINNER and more likely to break. Plus the tooth set is already off. Count your fingers and your lucky stars it didn't catch YOU!!!

By the way, you might have had your blade tension loose and that's what caused it to kink. I've snapped blades through no fault of my own and it's a very scary experience. Replace on the side of caution. Your wife will thank you for not having to wipe your butt while your fingers are healing cause you tried to "save a few bucks".

I had a blade break a couple of years ago and the topside of the break came don to the table and got me right in the center of my index fingernail. Pure bad luck?

Probably.

Would I have spent as much as 35.00 on a new blade to avoid the discomfort of the injury and the healing process!  

HELL YEAH!  

The pain of the expense is forgotten long before the pain of the injury would be.  

And depending on when, how  and just where it breaks in its rotation on the saw things could potentially go worse for you than they did for me.