How do you make short boards long

acr_scout

Finger jointing can be an acceptable way of butt joining boards.

http://www.performancetoolcenter.com/freud-99-037-finger-joint-router-bit-1-3-8-inch-diameter-w-1-2-inch-shank/?gclid=CKOV8eX-1dECFYNKXgodgTUNTg

I did a staggered joint glue up for a bar top with just butt jointed ends that has held up for years.  Similar to this.

Image result for staggered joint glue up

Dan I think you are mighty lucky to still be happy with the way your bar top looks today. I think this is the main reason people putting plywood together does not have ends sticking out in the middle for this is where stress would ruin everything. Flooring is an exception but they leave cracks and grooves everywhere because it will happen. Just a thought but don't worry about what I think?

1 hour ago, John Morris said:

Once ACR can determine how much he is short on the length, if it's just a few inches, he could instead put a classy bread board ends on the top to make up for the difference, and not deal with any joints.

Eww. I didn't think of it this way. 

I need to do a sketchup to figure out exactly what I need. 

i built a bar top, only 9" wide, for our kitchen island wall (rises about 9" above the countertop) a few years ago.  intended to make it out of 8/4 lumber, but the pieces i could secure were all too warped, they wouldn't lay flat.  what to do?

ended up recutting the lumber to about 2-1/4" wide, 1/4" thick strips.  built a base of 2 layers of 3/4 plywood, then glued the lumber to the plywood, staggering the butt joints.  they haven't moved in 4 years yet.  the bar top is about 11 feet long, so there was no way i was going to be able to get an 11 foot long piece of 8/4 lumber to come out right.

pic below shows the finished island and bar top.  used pieces on the top as well as the sides to hide the plywood core.

sometimes, you have to change your design to fit the wood and situation you have to deal with.

fullsizeoutput_afa.jpeg