Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Ralph  Allen Jones

Saturday's Woodworking Quiz January 14, 2017

Rate this topic

Good Morning Friends,

A fellow asked the following; I have a granite remnant left over from a kitchen remodel job, and I want to use it for a top for a coffee table. My challenge is; how do I attach the top to the table frame? I'm guessing that drilling into the granite is not an option.

What are your comments on this topic?

Good morning Ralph.  I suspect that the counter top was fastened to the counter with a silicon caulk.  I would use this for the coffee table too.  With a caution not to move the table around by only picking up by the top...

Cal

Well Fellows,

I hate to disappoint you but, as indicated by WOOD on page 12 of issue 239. Silicone is fine for counter tops, however for securing the granite to the table should be done with a good adhesive such as Titebond, DAP or liquid nails, etc,etc.

Do to the fact that the table may be moved from place to place as indicated by SWMBO.:D

Well, diamonds aren't just a girl's best friend...   Go ahead and drill and fasten it down with something a little stronger than glue.  Just don't tighten it up so much that  there's no room for movement (and keep those fasteners out of the way of your sharpening area... :lol::P:o )