Not Very Organized

John Morris

23 minutes ago, John Morris said:

Thanks for all your tips Steve, this one stood out the most though, so I am assuming your placing calipers on a moving spindle or bowl. I didn't know if that was standard operating procedure or not so I erred on the side caution and turned the lathe off before I did a caliper check. With standard calipers, then it's ok to check dimensions while it's spinning, as long as the points are rounded or smooth?

John. Yes on a moving spindle. NO on a spinning bowl. On a spindle, the parting tool and calipers are often used in conjunction with each other. Never on a bowl.

Steve

42 minutes ago, John Morris said:

Shoot, my button finger hit Buy Now, and it bought now! Got these just now off of Ebay for 12 bucks including shipping, nice American made 6" caliper.

Man I hate it when that happens...:P Well, now guess you will soon have "more stuff" to "clutter" up the pictures 'eh? :D

Sweet find...don't look like Starretts??? but maybe Brown & Sharp?? Either way, good old fashioned quality.

Edited by Grandpadave52

use a piece of this for your tooling rack mount up on the wall....

easy visual and it won't collect much in the lines of chips...

build it a frees standing rack...

put it on a compound arm and hook the arm to the lathe base or wall...

there are a lot of variations and sizes to choose from...

482481478_683.JPG&f=1

Edited by Stick486

54 minutes ago, lew said:

Most of the type you pictured don't have a locking screw to make sure the setting sticks.

Thanks Lew for that information, I had never thought of that. This topic just keeps getting better, thanks to all who have shown up and given tips and suggestions for me, thanks so much guys.

If doing spindles, open end wrenches make perfect calipers.  They are accurate and never move from their set.  I have been known to slot pieces of Plexiglas to the right size to match the parting tool thickness. 

Here is the stand I made from Stick's idea.  I did add a locating block up at the blade end because the tools would fall over to the side for lack of support.  The bottom is the weight from a discarded pole lamp.  I added legs to it also for more stability.

009-11.jpg

001-35.jpg

Edited by HandyDan