Survey: Band Saw or Drill Press

Like Preston, they get about equal use. But, when you need one or the other, you REALLY need it.

A floor model of either is preferable. The DP needs a tilting table and several speeds. IMHO, electronic speed control isn't worth the $$. Changing belt positions is easy. 

If you anticipate resawing, get a BS large enough to handle 12" wide stock. Youll save lots of $$ buying thicker stock and resawing it.

On 12/23/2016 at 8:12 AM, clhyer said:

I use my drill press a lot, more than I use the band saw.

What other projects do you anticipate in the next year or so?

Cal

The only major project I can think of for the next year is a bookcase for my office. But then again, I never know what I might get into.

I use a lot of pallet wood and I was thinking that a band saw would help shape the wood a lot better.  However, I cannot cut a straight hole with a forstner drill bit. I have thought about one of those drill attachments that act like a small drill press.  Also, I do not have much floor space so I need to be careful what I get.

@schnewj

That is some very good input. I am always leery about used stuff because I am not very knowledgeable about the tools so I don't necessarily know what to look at.

In my mind's eye I can see so many uses for a DP such as cutting mortises, drilling round stock, and to drill straight holes which I cannot do free hand.

My plan is to use as much reclaimed pallet wood I can get, which is a lot.  A BS would be so helpful for shaping up wood before I put it on a table saw. I know a floor model BS is the best but I have limited space so I cannot see it being stationary. I roll things in and out of their parking spaces to use them.

I am trying to weigh the pro's hence asking questions here. This gives me a longer list to consider.

Of the three uses you described for the DP, it drills straight holes extremely well, and does well with larger bits; and it will drill round stock (with a jig to hold the stock). But for mortises (if you're considering one of those add on mortisers) it's really sucks. Skip buying one of those should you choose to get the DP. Mortises can be done very nicely by drilling out most of the waste with a forstner or brad point bit, then squared with a chisel.