Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
John Moody

Friday, Dec 16 2016, What's on Your Patriot Woodworker Agenda

Rate this topic

You have been pretty busy. Glad you are feeling better and Good Luck with the knee surgery.

As for me, no shop time this weekend - Christmas/Birthday with my girl friend's mom and her mom's man friend (her mom's birthday is the 24th)

Great to hear that you're on the mend. We missed you, though John did a credible job in your absence. Good luck with the knee replacement. Of course, you already know the drill. 

A jewelry chest started 2 years ago is on the bench. I can't seem to leave well enough alone. Decided to change some things and now work has halted awaiting supplies.  Think I'll rip some walnut for a rifle case. 

Good luck on the knee.  My brother-in-law just had his done a couple months ago.  He said the first few days are the pits but then it is okay after that.  Says he feels so much better he would do it again if the need arose for the other knee.  He said the pain is worth the gain.

I have a couple more things to turn for Christmas gifts.  Just finishing one now.  Should be done tomorrow except for the finish so I am not really under the gun.

Edited by HandyDan

Put the last coat of lacquer on the chess set this morning and now have to felt the pieces and the box and cut the dividers. Started yesterday on the drawer unit for the sewing machine island and hope to have it in clamps today.

A busy busy man there John. Nice job on that gun stock, I am not sure I could have got enough nerve to do that.

As for me, I am moving back to the old/new apartment on Monday. It's been remodeled, and is complete from what I hear. I might get to squeeze in a pen or two this weekend before the move. I want to get one done that I had not had a chance yet to make. It's basically a mechanical sketch pencil. I'll put up a post about it if I get the chance to actually do one.

Sold 4 secret compartment key chains last week that I got completed and in the mail. I got a picture of 2 of them posted around here somewhere, but sadly, I didn't get a chance to get a picture of the other 2 before they went out the door (bummer). Also sold a deer grunt call yeterday, so that went out the door today. A picture of that is included here.

grunt1.JPG

Even though it's slightly out of focus, you can tell that the grain was really nice.

It was even 2 toned :)

grunt2.JPG

Since I didn't want it glossy and possibly reflect sunlight, i put a simple mineral oil finish on it. I started to put paste wax on it to help preserve the wood further, but was afraid the smell of the paste wax might make the deer wary, so I decided against it.

John Moody said:

"So anyway, I'm getting a new knee for Christmas as I will go into the hospital on December 23. You won't get a Friday post from me next week. "

What, you can't sneak a laptop into your room? :rolleyes:  But seriously, I hope you have a speedy recovery.

John

8 hours ago, John Moody said:

So anyway, I'm getting a new knee for Christmas as I will go into the hospital on December 23

We make a lot of Green Egg Tables and I was contacted to see if we could make one for another brand of ceramic smoker called a Kamato

I was ask to drill a hole in this brand new stock to insert a Challenge Coin.

Then it was back to the oak cabinet doors I cut out and milled up a while back.

I hope your new knee comes out a tenth as well as your work does..

you'll be setting pretty...

and here's pulling for ya and your new knee...

Friday's schedule?   Rest a knee up.  Have it on ice right now.    Ace wrap can come off tomorrow.   Doctor FeelGood is in the house. 

beyond that?   not a whole lot going on.    May have a "Meet & Greet"  for the shop tomorrow, weather permitting.  I figure I can "hop" down the steps on one leg.....

Til then, I'll just sit on my fat...Foundation  and enjoy the ice packed feeling..

9 hours ago, HARO50 said:

John Moody said:

"So anyway, I'm getting a new knee for Christmas as I will go into the hospital on December 23. You won't get a Friday post from me next week. "

What, you can't sneak a laptop into your room? :rolleyes:  But seriously, I hope you have a speedy recovery.

John

I'll see what I can do, but on Friday, I'm pretty sure I'll be out of it most of the day. I am taking my iPad with me so I'll check in as soon as the meds wear off enough I can focus.:blink:

On 12/16/2016 at 10:53 AM, John Moody said:

I've been a little under the weather this past few weeks and I believe i'm finally getting over some of it and getting back around. I had a mean upper respiratory infection and had to get over it as I am having my left knee replaced. All the meds sorta put me down for a few weeks and I didn't have much energy.

Wow John...sorry to hear about  respiratory illness. Gals your better...Lot of like illness going around in Central Indiana too. I had might fall bought of bronchitis a couple of weeks ago...antibiotics finally kicked it. We'll be thinking of you and keeping you in our prayers on Friday...you'll probably have to leave Santa a lot of donuts for a "gift" this big! :P

Great job on the rifle stock. That is some beautiful wood combination. I'd love to see the completed gun.

For me, Friday was a challenge day with my mother going back from rehab care to hospital, but things are improving there. Yesterday weather was "frightful" and today not much better. Way to cold for shop work. I did do a little rust hunting at an indoor flea market yesterday waiting while my wife was at hair appointment and grandson at Christmas program practice.

Picked up a pretty decent little Stanley "finger" plane...my research so far leads me to believe it's an older 101...pics coming when I get a chance. Gave a little more than I wanted ($7.50+tax) but first one I've ever seen in captivity. :D Iron and sole needs some work.

Oldest grand-daughter is "baby-sitting" me right now while wife is taking her sister to weekend clinic...she may have strep throat. :( At 6 PM today, oldest grandson (5-1/2 y/o) has Christmas Program-Play at church...he scored a couple of speaking lines...pretty laid back and low key about it...

Hope you get better very quickly with your new knee and rehab isn't a bear.   My one neighbor got a new knee and if you don't keep up the stretching exercises you'll probably...   well, that's all up to you.   Hope you have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Almost did some rust hunting at habitat yesterday.   They had a D23 there that was plenty rusty but otherwise decent, but since i have a couple of nearly new D95's here, decided i didn't really have to have it.

On 12/17/2016 at 6:48 AM, Rlbailey3 said:

We will be praying for you John, hope it goes well.

I ran into about 80 bf of cherry the other night on Craigslist. Beautiful boards. Couldn't pass that up so I picked them up. No clue what I will do with it but I am sure my wife will be wanting something.image.jpeg

Also went yesterday about picked up about 60 be poplar to start on a dresser for my son.

Finished these up last night. Cherry and mahogany on left and walnut with curly maple on right. They look much better in person I think but turned out well. I am pretty much finished with Christmas present so other than maybe starting in a clamp rack I think I might just take a break this weekend.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Nice job Trey. Nice find on the Cherry also. 

On 12/18/2016 at 1:07 PM, Grandpadave52 said:

Wow John...sorry to hear about  respiratory illness. Gals your better...Lot of like illness going around in Central Indiana too. I had might fall bought of bronchitis a couple of weeks ago...antibiotics finally kicked it. We'll be thinking of you and keeping you in our prayers on Friday...you'll probably have to leave Santa a lot of donuts for a "gift" this big! :P

Great job on the rifle stock. That is some beautiful wood combination. I'd love to see the completed gun.

For me, Friday was a challenge day with my mother going back from rehab care to hospital, but things are improving there. Yesterday weather was "frightful" and today not much better. Way to cold for shop work. I did do a little rust hunting at an indoor flea market yesterday waiting while my wife was at hair appointment and grandson at Christmas program practice.

Picked up a pretty decent little Stanley "finger" plane...my research so far leads me to believe it's an older 101...pics coming when I get a chance. Gave a little more than I wanted ($7.50+tax) but first one I've ever seen in captivity. :D Iron and sole needs some work.

Oldest grand-daughter is "baby-sitting" me right now while wife is taking her sister to weekend clinic...she may have strep throat. :( At 6 PM today, oldest grandson (5-1/2 y/o) has Christmas Program-Play at church...he scored a couple of speaking lines...pretty laid back and low key about it...

Im suppose to get a picture of the gun when it is presented. I'll post it. I really want to see it too.