Patriot Woodworker Ernie Richardson has Passed Away

Ernie Richardson.jpegA Memorial Page for Ernie Richardson

It is with great sadness that one of our own has passed away. Ernie Richardson passed on December 7th, 2016, just two days ago.

He has been sparse here on The Patriot Woodworker the last few months, but I have been in contact with him via email and Facebook messaging. He never gave any indication that he was heading towards this life event, although he did seem a bit down, and just kind of not feeling well in spirit.

Ernie faced a lifetime of disability. Ernie Richardson was a good man, even with his disability challenges, he focused outward towards helping others, instead of focusing on his own challenges. He loved working in an organization called Bugles Across America and he was a bugler for funeral services of our veterans.

Ernie also counted on his best friend Ruby, his service dog. Ernie loved that dog dearly.

Ernie loved coming on here and sharing his work and shop. He received a scroll saw he was very proud of. As a matter of fact we were very proud of that scroll saw too, our Patriot Woodworker's came together, and purchased that saw for Ernie. His shop was small, but he had a blast in it. Ernie loved to make pens for his friends and family and he gave them to veterans as well.

I will miss the fact that Ernie is not with us anymore, I wish I could be in contact more with many of our folks here in The Patriot Woodworker community, I wish I could live near many of you, to visit, and just drop in from time to time and say howdy, I wish I could have met Ernie in person, and let him know that I personally appreciated his huge efforts with our veterans, and his presence here. He sometimes felt like he was in the way around here, he felt at times like he was asking too many questions or he was being a burden on us because he sometimes had difficulty navigating the site. It could not have been further from the truth, we loved him here, and we jumped in when we could to give Ernie a hand up. Ernie, nor anyone is ever a burden here, never. I hope Ernie understood that.

Ernie and Service Dog Ruby.jpegAnother thing about Ernie, he always regretted not serving our country, frequently he would remind us of that, but he always said, that he hoped by playing "Taps" for our fallen and naturally deceased veterans, that he could somehow make up for what he could not do in service. I remember many of us always shot back to Ernie "Hey sir, you're doing a grand thing by playing that bugle, don't ever feel like you did not do your part for our nation!"

Right now I have no doubt Ernie is blowing into that bugle in Heaven and playing side by side with the Angels. And he is standing at the gates, welcoming all our military souls as they cross in.

I have one last thing to say, well done Ernie Richardson, well done sir!

We installed this memorial page for Ernie in our Veterans Forum, because he earned it!

Ernie's organization

bugles across america.jpeg

Ernie's Gallery

Reach out to our elderly, reach out to friends, reach out to our veterans, repair a fence for someone who cannot, be there for your neighbor.

I am so sorry to hear about Ernie passing. He was always humble about not serving just like many of us here on TPW. So while many of us here on TPW have not served we do support those who have served and continue to serve. I have been to a number of funerals for vets over the years and I have witnessed first hand how appreciative those families were to have those volunteers who play Taps to honor their loved ones who have served. So I for one have always enjoyed having Ernie on TPW and will miss him.

When John told me of Ernie's passing, I was shocked and saddened.  One of the privileges I have is to be able to speak with some of our members and I had the opportunity to speak with Ernie a couple of times on the phone. He was a truly nice guy.  Though he never actively served in the armed forces, he clearly made up for it with his service as a bugler.  He lived life to the fullest in spite of his infirmity and loved his Detroit Red Wings.  Ernie Richardson, it was a privilege to have known you.

I am sorry I never had the chance to interact with Ernie.  The memorials to him on this site have inspired me to try to do more for others.  We all sometimes get caught up in our own dramas and forget that there are others in this world.  Sounds like Ernie was honored as much as he honored others.  A good man to emulate.

Dear Ernie Richardson's Family

12/7/2016
COMFORT IN TIME OF NEED
Hold on to these 7 My’s  to keep you strong in your long hard road of life a head of you!!!  I pray that this will help comfort and strengthen you at time of sorrow!!! 

Jesus’ heart is your true refuge,  and to Him you now may flee;
                        Even when your hopes are sinking,  He will still a true friend be
                     He will soothe your lonely spirit:  He will love and bless and say,
                      “Come to me, and I will comfort you, today and every day.’

Psalm 18:1-6        I will love thee, O Lord, my strength. The Lord is my rock, and my fortress, and my  deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my   salvation, and my high tower. I will call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised: so shall I be saved from mine enemies. The sorrows of death compassed me, and the floods of ungodly men made me afraid. The sorrows of hell compassed me about: the snares of death prevented me. In my distress I called upon the Lord, and cried unto my God: he heard my voice out of his temple, and my cry came before him, even into his ears.

As the Psalmist David speaks in verse 2; He tells of the victory he found in God.  It was his psalm of thanksgiving for God’s deliverance, and manifold blessings . 

7 Mys my Lord Is
My Rock   - a srong place
Psalm 94:22            But the Lord is my defence; and my God is the rock of my refuge.

My FORTESS  - a place of protection
Nahum 1:7     The Lord is good, a strong hold in the day of trouble; and he knoweth them that trust in him

My Deliverer   - To save
2 Cor. 1:10           Who delivered us from so great a death, and doth deliver: in whom we trust that he will yet deliver us;

My God  -- eternal and unchangeable in wisdom, power and holiness
Psalm 89:26        He shall cry unto me, Thou art my father, my God, and the rock of my salvation.

My Strength  - A srong-hold
Psalm 28:7               The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him.

My Buckler -  A shield; a defense or protection
Psalm 18:30            As for God, his way is perfect: the word of the Lord is tried: he is a buckler to all those that trust in him.

Horn of my Salvation   -    safety;  a symbol of strength and honor
Isaiah 12:2
Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the Lord Jehovah is my strength and my song; he also is become my salvation.

Isaiah 40:28-31       Hast thou not known? hast thou not heard, that the everlasting God, the Lord, the Creator of the ends of the earth, fainteth not, neither is weary? there is no searching of his understanding.
He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might he increaseth strength.  Even the youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fall:  But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.

Psalm 46:1-11
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore will not we fear,  though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea; Though the waters thereof roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with the swelling thereof. Selah. There is a river, the streams whereof shall make glad the city of God , the holy place of the tabernacles of the most High. God is in the midst of her; she shall not be moved: God shall help her, and that right early. The heathen raged, the kingdoms were moved: he uttered his voice, the earth melted. The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah. Come, behold the works of the Lord, what desolations he hath made in the earth. He maketh wars to cease unto the end of the earth; he breaketh the bow, and cutteth the spear in sunder; he burneth the chariot in the fire. Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth. The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah.

Isaiah 41:10
Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness

Proverbs 3:5-7
Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.           
In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the Lord, and depart from evil.

Philip. 4:6-7           Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.     And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

1 Peter 5:6-7    Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time:     Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.
In Christ Name We Pray
 Love yours forever, 
                                                                             Mark & Marie  Dantzler

wood7926@lowcountry.com

• 3 weeks later...

This is an extravagant gent. He gave to his country without having to be pushed. If only more could do so, the world would be a better place. He will be a missing piece to our puzzle here now, however he is now at his prime doing a master's job of the thing we all admire here and that is woodworking! Ill bet his scroll sawing is nothing other than perfect!  It will surely dictate the individual we had here in front of us ladies and gents.  Hats off to him. Hats off to his family and friends. R.I.P. my friend. You are not forgotten! 

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...