Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

The Patriot Woodworkers with Operation Ward 57 Adopt a Wounded Warrior Family for the Holidays - 2019 project is live, please click on link to view our very special annual project.

acr_scout

Finally fixed up sear contractors saw

Rate this topic

6 minutes ago, Danl said:

I beleive you did a fine job so that the saw will last a few more generations.  You may want to consider adding legs under the out feed table.  From the pic, it looks like the saw could tip.

Danl

Thanks Danl. I hope my son will take to it when the time comes however, because we traveled all over in the Army my son did not get much time with his Grandpa before he passed. So I am going to guess there will not be as much of an emotional touch.

I used an extended dovetail of sorts to slide the table on. It does not tip or shift at all. No leg needed. I put the saw up after I use it so I didn't want legs or anything. It is super stable on the garage floor. 

Edited by Frederick Wilson
add thank yous

3 hours ago, ACR_SCOUT said:

As fun as I had building it with my dad there in spirit I can no longer put off the wife's honey do list.

Please let me know what you think.

Well Fred, I think you should go to her tomorrow and ask her what she wants done first. :lol:

Oh wait, you were asking about the saw...:rolleyes:...you did a great job on the restore, mobile base and the accessories. I suspect both are looking down with great pride.

Kinda put some things in perspective for me too since this saw in now in the 3rd generation headed for the 4th...mainly as I have a similar saw but a bit older that I purchased new and still use...guess that really dates me.^_^ Thanks for sharing your work and even better the story. Enjoyed both!

BTW...don't forget that list tomorrow.:lol:

I think you did a fine job and your dad would be proud. With all do respect I have to agree with Danl and would like to see you add legs for stability.  Looks like they could be made to fold up towards the saw and still miss the cart and not interfere when removed and stored.  It just looks scary to me with the saw mounted to the back edge of the cart, the heavy motor and the extension table hanging over the edge.  If nothing else it would be good insurance.  Clamp a 2X8 to the table with all the weight hanging off the back as if you are just finishing ripping it and check stability.  I think it would be real tippy then.  Again, just my opinion. 

11 hours ago, ACR_SCOUT said:

The first thing on the honey do is to make a couple of lamps out of pallet wood. I think it's going to be harder taking apart the pallets.

I think its harder to go out and work for the money to buy the lumber to make the lamps. Show her the pallets before hand and I'm sure you'll make her proud with the end results.

Nice job on the restore, you should get many years of use from it.

I really appreciate everyone's input. I thought I would post some more pictures of the out-feed table to quail a bit of the concern. However, I hear all of you and I am sure it is based on experience. 

Notice that the out-feed table slides on using sort of a long dove tail cut with runners on the table support and corresponding runners on the table.

That kerosene heater is full of fuel and probably weighs around 20 pounds. 

IMAG0264.jpg

IMAG0265.jpg

IMAG0266.jpg

IMAG0267.jpg

IMAG0268.jpg

IMAG0269.jpg

IMAG0270.jpg

IMAG0271.jpg

IMAG0272.jpg

IMAG0273.jpg

IMAG0274.jpg

@DuckSoup My wife is pretty laid back. She wanted an end table that doubled as kennel for the dog so I built one that looks sort of like a crate. She liked it so much I built her a normal end table matching the first. Because they are over sides she cannot find lamps that are proportional so I will build the lamps from the same batch of pallets but some how stain them to be a bit darker. I say "some how" because I don't know how well they will stain with the rough surfaced.

Great renovation and even better history...hope future generations will tell it the same way...

Couple of points...(1) your shop is too clean and (2) it has lots of room...therefore...(1) you need to buy more tools.,..(b) make the dog eat the honey-do list...

Nice design on the outfeed table...gonna have to steal the idea for my Darra James

Great job...thanks for sharing...

10 hours ago, Nickp said:

Great renovation and even better history...hope future generations will tell it the same way...

Couple of points...(1) your shop is too clean and (2) it has lots of room...therefore...(1) you need to buy more tools.,..(b) make the dog eat the honey-do list...

Nice design on the outfeed table...gonna have to steal the idea for my Darra James

Great job...thanks for sharing...

My "shop" may seem to clean but it has to be since it's my garage and we cannot have the motorcycle getting dusty and got to have a place for the car (gotta keep momma happy).

Thanks for the kind words. I remember having to clean out spaces in my dad's garage to do anything. Hence all my big stuff is on wheels and my home built wall lockers are on French cleat. Everything is modular so it be moved or modified.

For my next trick, a cut off saw stand that will be level with the table saw and workbench so I can cut long stuff.