Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
John Moody

Friday, Nov 18, 2016, What's on your Patriot Woodworker Agenda?

Rate this topic

I processed two 20" Dia. Maple logs and a 25" Dia. White Oak log into turning blanks.  Cut them into manageable pieces with the chainsaw and then ran them through the band saw.  Now I need a place to store them.

002.JPG

I also took some Cedar logs and cut one inch wide discs.  My niece wants numbers scrolled into them to use to number the tables at her wedding next Spring.  I cut the one on the end this Summer and it cracked while drying.  I'm sure the others will do the same.  I may slather on some wipe on poly in a couple days to see if it helps any. 

005.JPG

It was a nice week to spend outdoors.  Nasty stuff starts tomorrow. 

The election is over and I get to head back into the shop.  Today a friend dropped off a rocking chair that needs some TLC.  He's a pastor and a counselor and a client (a large one) snapped the back off of an oak rocker.  I'll see if I can repair it.

Elk hunting

1 hour ago, HandyDan said:

I processed two 20" Dia. Maple logs and a 25" Dia. White Oak log into turning blanks.  Cut them into manageable pieces with the chainsaw and then ran them through the band saw.  Now I need a place to store them.

I have room in my basement if you can get them here! ;)

John

Spent the last 3 days at the MS Agriculture Museum with some woodturning club members. Mostly I turned spin tops which the kids loved. Also sold several pieces beside all the tops I could turn. Tomorrow we have a turning club meeting and the demo is the Cosmic Cloud platter. Should be a great day.

Hopefull I will get back onto the chess set next week.

5 hours ago, Chips N Dust said:

Elk hunting

Now that sounds like fun!!!

6 hours ago, HandyDan said:

002.JPG

I also took some Cedar logs and cut one inch wide discs.  My niece wants numbers scrolled into them to use to number the tables at her wedding next Spring.  I cut the one on the end this Summer and it cracked while drying.  I'm sure the others will do the same.  I may slather on some wipe on poly in a couple days to see if it helps any. 

005.JPG

It was a nice week to spend outdoors.  Nasty stuff starts tomorrow. 

You have been a busy man!

Nice job on the discs!

7 hours ago, John Moody said:

Now that sounds like fun!!!

Rain, windy, temps in the high 40's, sounds like a good day (and fun) for hunting to me...

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 7:27 PM, HARO50 said:

I have room in my basement if you can get them here! ;)

John

I will see what I can do with them this weekend.  If I can't find a spot you can come down and get them.  Don't blame me if they stop you at the border on the way back.

On November 18, 2016 at 10:28 AM, John Moody said:

Yesterday I got a batch of Pizza peels glued and ready to start to cut down and finish.

John,

How do you bevel the edge of your pizza peels? I did the bulk of my with a jack plane and it turned out great but I am wandering what other options there are.

Trying to finish up special orders and product for an ujpcoming show.  The project below is to be picked up on Sunday.  Made from 3/4" Red Oak with a 1/4" Oak plywood backer.

USAF Retired.jpg

WHOA!!!

On 11/19/2016 at 9:32 PM, Rlbailey3 said:

John,

How do you bevel the edge of your pizza peels? I did the bulk of my with a jack plane and it turned out great but I am wandering what other options there are.

I have used a spoke shave but the fastest is on the round open drum sander. 

On 11/19/2016 at 9:27 PM, Rlbailey3 said:

I was busy going into this weekend. I added a new tool to the shop and couldn't be more please with this saw. It is a 14" craftsman. I will need to buy a few blades but it performs great.

image.jpeg

My big focus this weekend is trying to knockout Christmas presents. I finished up a pizza peel last night. This was my first one and i like the way it turned out.

image.jpeg

This morning this was what my shop looked like while working on a couple of valet boxes, a cutting board, and a couple of tool boxes. All of these are gifts for Christmas.

image.jpeg

I finished up today installing a new blade in the table saw and cut miters for the valet boxes. This one is walnut and will have a curly maple top and maple splines and the other will be solid cherry with walnut splines. Miters looked great when I clamped them up to check. Hope to actually finish some of these up going into next weekend.

image.jpeg

Looks like you've been busy. I like the band saw. Glad you were able to get it. Nice pizza peel also. You are doing some nice work. 

Enjoyed your visit at the shop the other day. Come back anytime.