Operation Ward 57 Adopt a Wounded Warrior Family for the Holidays - 2016 (WINNERS ANNOUNCED!)

Please congratulate the following winners for our Adopt a Family for Christmas Project Raffle! We are proud to announce the following!

Carl D Zimmerman II     Laguna Store Credit $500.00 value   

Donna Jackson     Easy Wood Tools Mid-Size Trio of Tools $360.00 value        

Brian McCorry     Rikon 9" Slow Speed Grinder  $140.00 value

Kelly Churchill     Rikon 6" Buffer $100.00 value

Thank you all for your participation, we'll follow up with the Family Christmas details in another topic, including how your raffle funds were used for this family, and we will notify our supporters who donated these awesome prizes, and the awards should be shipped out very soon!

Thank you all for a very successful raffle project, for a very deserving family!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Introduction Every year The Patriot Woodworker's adopt a wounded warriors family for Christmas. We do this through a great veterans support organization named Operation Ward 57. The Patriot Woodworker's apply to Ward 57 to be accepted to receive our family for Christmas, and each year we are chosen to participate. And each year, our sponsors donate wonderful items for us to raffle for this cause. We use 100 percent of the raffle proceeds to purchase gifts for the kids, and a Christmas dinner for the family. 

CLICK HERE to view last years project.

Click on the Raffle Ticket and support our adopted family!

green-raffle-ticket.png

This year, the items our sponsors have donated can be seen in the image below, these are some great prizes folks! The tickets are only 2 dollars with multiple ticket bargains, and your odds of winning are very high given our typical turnout. To view the ticket prices, and to purchase your tickets please click on the Raffle Ticket above!

A full accountability of the proceeds will be reported on at the end of the raffle so you know your hard earned money was used to help make our family's Christmas a wonderful time for a very deserving family.

Rules

• Sorry, only Residents of the US and Canada may participate
  • All are welcome to participate, members, forum hosts, admins (accept for yours truly nor my family members) and non-members
  • Please allow 1 to 3 weeks for delivery of prizes, most of the time prizes are sent out immediately
  • You may purchase as many raffle tickets as you like
  • Raffle ends midnight December 19th 2016, names will be drawn one second after midnight
  • 4 names will be randomly drawn by Raffle River, and prizes will be awarded in the order of names drawn, starting with Laguna, then the Rikon Buffer, then the Rikon Grinder, then the EWT Turning set of tools.
  • You may also enter by mailing check or money order made out to The Patriot Woodworker and send too: The Patriot Woodworker - 977 Sussex Rd, San Jacinto, CA. 92583

You may win one of the following prizes!                           4 Winners will be randomly drawn by Raffle River
Akin Family Project.png

Mission 
We need your help to accumulate funds for this family who has given much to our nation in physical and emotional sacrifice and much more in family sacrifice. 
All proceeds from this raffle will be used to purchase gifts for Xavier, Alexander and little Amelia and to provide a Christmas dinner for the family. 

The Family 
This year we are proud to be supporting the Akin Family from Grass Valley, California. 
They include Mr. Akin our wounded warrior, Mrs. Akin, his spouse, and Xavier, their 5 year old son, Alexander, their younger 2 year old son, and little Amelia, their new 2 month old baby girl. 

The Akin Family Below

Akin double.jpg

History 
Mr. Akin was deployed to Afghanistan in 2012, he was riding in the gunner seat of a JERRV (Joint Engineering Rapid Response Vehicle) in a convoy, and the vehicle was hit by an IED (Improvised Explosive Device) almost directly under where he was sitting. His team leader was wounded in his head resulting in a Terminal Brain Injury, but Mr. Akin sustained the brunt of the explosion force and shrapnel. 

Joint Engineering Rapid Response Vehicle

Cougar_4x4_JERRV_EOD_Joint_Explosive_Ordnance_Disposal_Rapid_Response_Vehicle_MRAP_United_States_army_001.jpg

Mr. Akin spent his time recovering at a hospital in Fort Lewis, Washington, from a broken left femur, resulting in rod and screws being placed down his entire femur. His right foot and ankle were shattered, followed by a year and a half that included 5 surgeries, plates and screws, then eventually resulting in a below the knee amputation. He also fractured his tail bone, and received a head wound resulting an a Terminal Brain Injury. 

In Closing

Ok Patriot Woodworker's, it's time to muster and it's time to show everyone what we are all about! The purpose our woodworking community was created is for this reason, to help those who have served us, and paid the price.

We also need to thank our sponsors Woodcraft Supply, Laguna Tools, and Easy Wood Tools for their generous support! For without them, we would not have a community, nor would we be able to perform the work we do. Thank you guys!

sponsor_graphic.jpg

I'd like to thank all who have purchased tickets so far, we have had a successful campaign thus far! We originally had a goal post at 500 dollars, we quickly reached that goal within days! We then moved the goal post to 1000 dollars, and we are on our way to that goal as well. If we reach 1000 dollars in another week, we'll move the post to 1500.00!!!!! And we'll give this family a Christmas they'll never forget!

Remember, all proceeds are for this family, The Patriot Woodworker community receives zero funding from this campaign, all of your hard earned money you are using to purchase the raffle tickets, will go to this family.

Congratulations Patriot Woodworker's! You done good!

6 hours ago, Gene Howe said:

"all of your hard earned money you are using to purchase the raffle tickets, will go to this family."

Does this mean that all the prizes are donated?

Good on those sponsors!

Thanks Gene for keeping this topic live! And you got it right, prizes are donated as you know. Thanks for your interest!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Darndest thing! I'm in central time zone...email reminder about the raffle came to my email around noon... I saw it around 3:30pm and went to the site to participate in the raffle. What I got at the raffle site was: " As the raffle drawing is nearly here, online sales are now closed."

IMHO, they should have said "This online raffle has closed early." Nothing else can explain it. I'm glad the goal was already reached.

1 hour ago, Spence Bloom said:

Darndest thing! I'm in central time zone...email reminder about the raffle came to my email around noon... I saw it around 3:30pm and went to the site to participate in the raffle. What I got at the raffle site was: " As the raffle drawing is nearly here, online sales are now closed."

IMHO, they should have said "This online raffle has closed early." Nothing else can explain it. I'm glad the goal was already reached.

Try again Spence, it was an error.

Thanks for your support!