Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
John Morris

Re-Sawing a Pine Log w/Band Saw

Rate this topic

Topic Summary

Created

Last Reply

Replies

Views

John Morris -
Stick486 -

Top Posters

Yesterday I walked into the shop with little time to do anything because we just had a full day, and it was late afternoon and I was really itching to do something, anything! So while LOML was getting ready for us to head out to our Anniversary dinner, I jumped out to the wood pile and just grabbed a log, any log, and cut it down to a block on my band saw. 

I am horrible at identifying logs based on bark, so I did not know what I was cutting into till I cut into it, as soon as the blade hit the end of the log I smelled the Pine, so that is what I had, was pine. When I originally grabbed the log, I was hoping it was some kind of hard wood, so I could cut it down and produce some Krenov style plane blanks. But it was fun anyway. Here are a couple images of how it went.

I used my Grizz G0555 14" bandsaw with a 3/4" 3 TPI blade. And it cut through the 12" log with no problem.

Now what do I do with this Pine squared up blank now? You got me, any ideas or suggestions?

Resaw Grizz BS (1).jpg

Resaw Grizz BS (2).jpg

Resaw Grizz BS (3).jpg

Resaw Grizz BS (4).jpg

Resaw Grizz BS (5).jpg

Resaw Grizz BS (6).jpg

Resaw Grizz BS (8).jpg

4 minutes ago, HandyDan said:

Cut the length square to the width and turn a couple bowls.

Put a thinner blade on and make a band saw box.

Great idea Dan! Thanks.

Not sure if you have enough, but how about a short step stool

3 minutes ago, Chips N Dust said:

Not sure if you have enough, but how about a short step stool

There is enough Chips! I could resaw into 3/4" planks and make that step stool for sure, thanks!

John its good you want to explore with some logs, log, but my learning with pine and what it will do to all my machines that uses sandpaper tells me to find a camp fire somewhere and donate all of them quickly....They are not good for my fire place either.

Our city has a storage yard for all the logs that end up not wanted by the owners and they end up for anyone that can take them and use them to come and get them. I found the yard by me being noisy for I stopped a pickup pulling a trailer with it loaded with a bunch hugh logs and I ask what he was going to do with them for I wanted some of them if he didn't. Just follow me and I will show you where anyone in town takes them to get rid of them....

24 minutes ago, Smallpatch said:

John its good you want to explore with some logs, log, but my learning with pine and what it will do to all my machines that uses sandpaper tells me to find a camp fire somewhere and donate all of them quickly....They are not good for my fire place either.

Our city has a storage yard for all the logs that end up not wanted by the owners and they end up for anyone that can take them and use them to come and get them. I found the yard by me being noisy for I stopped a pickup pulling a trailer with it loaded with a bunch hugh logs and I ask what he was going to do with them for I wanted some of them if he didn't. Just follow me and I will show you where anyone in town takes them to get rid of them....

I prefer not to work with Pine either Jess, it was just a fun moment in the shop is all. Years ago I found out what pine can do to a drum sander, bad news man! I am aware of the challenges pine presents. That being said, I'll do something with this pine blank, don't know yet, but I do like the idea of a small step stool. I'll do a hand project with it, once the planks are resawed down to size, I'll make the stool by hand, it'll be fun!

I do agree with you Jess.

But, sometimes we need to use pine, and we need to machine it and work it and sand it, I had to build an entire kitchen full of cabinets from pine for a customer a while back, and they wanted solid pine, a challenge yes, but it was necessary to do.

I do love the smell though, I must admit!