Friday, Nov 11th, What's on your Patriot Woodworker Agenda?

Rate this topic

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Happy Veteran's Day to you all and thank those of you that served for your service. A "Thank You" seems so inadequate for the sacrifice you made. We all enjoy many freedoms and at times take them for

Got a cherry tree at a friends farm today. After Halving that worked on that worked on the. Chess set.   Tomorrow we are going to the gun show , Need sights and case and some more items.

till it comes to cereal time...

Posted Images

Probably not much if any shop time...unheated space and forecast now for tomorrow maybe high of 440; wouldn't be bad if sun would shine and 20-25 mph winds would lay.

Worked on block planes some today...might again Sunday PM if it warms up + still have number of chisels want to get sharpened. Couple other small projects from some projects scrap i stumbled upon while doing fall clean-up. Of course listening to IU football tomorrow is mandatory.

Gotta find something to get me out of the house though...15-1/2 y/o grand-daughter has semi-formal fall dance at the HS; between her, her mom and grandma best to take cover and clear out; they sometimes don't value my unsolicited opinions...:lol: She introduced her "date" to her dad last night at the football banquet...not really a date other than at the dance...no "dates" until 16 (if she can escape out of the basement:P); Maybe till garden & finish mowing....I can bundle up for that.

I posted in the turning forum that I'd scored a nice batch of walnut for turning.  Earlier this week I got it all home and have started turning it into turning blanks. Not a small thing as several of the rough pieces are 4-500lbs each. That's about all my little Kubota can handle. So far, I've processed a few of the small chunks, tomorrow, I'll start on the larger ones. I'm looking at roughing out a 20" blank which would be the biggest bowl I've ever turned. I just have to ask myself, do I really even want to turn a 20" bowl?

Steve

1 hour ago, Grandpadave52 said:

Gotta find something to get me out of the house though...15-1/2 y/o grand-daughter has semi-formal fall dance at the HS; between her, her mom and grandma best to take cover and clear out; they sometimes don't value my unsolicited opinions...:lol: She introduced her "date" to her dad last night at the football banquet...not really a date other than at the dance...no "dates" until 16 (if she can escape out of the basement:P); Maybe till garden & finish mowing....I can bundle up for that.

I would bundle up and go to the shop, and lock the door :P

basically took the day off today, other than playing Driver of the Van.   Even then, I  just took power naps while waiting on the Boss to finish up.    Might try to get that POS camera to stay on tomorrow...about time to lock the Dungeon Shop's door behind me, as I  slide down the steps...GrandBRATS are here, again.    I get more done in the shop on those days......

My latest project is a pistol case for competition shooting. It is copied from cases built by Pachmayr Gun Works that were popular in the 60's and 70's and are no longer available. It holds everything you need to go to the range as well as a support for your spotting scope. I will post some photos as soon as I find out how.

7 hours ago, HandyDan said:

I have heard said many times the large bowls don't sell well.  Haven't heard any explanations as to why.

That's one reason but there are many reasons. A 20" blank, six inches thick would weigh 60-70lbs or so, probably not something I want to try and mount freehand. So, I would have to invest in a little shop crane or something. That is something I intend to do eventually though.

My largest chuck is a supernova2 and I think they are rated  for up to a 16" swing, I don't have a large face plate so to do it safely I would probably invest in a face plate. That would require more depth to get the same size bowl, so that would increase the weight, etc etc.

Even a 12" bowl is getting pretty large and can be difficult to store, few people would have room to store, or even to use a 20" monster bowl so it's a very select market to sell to.  And, I forget who said it, but the biggest bowl isn't always the best bowl

Steve