Cherry Box of Squares, dry fit

steven newman

Still with the camera issues today.   Waiting on a call back about a second Opinion on this knee.    Plywood was rough cut to size. leaving quite a bit extra..

extras.JPG

Took a few more cuts to get just the right fit.    Even used a block plane to straighten out the saw cuts.....started grabbing clamps  and a mallet.   Found a couple spots needing trimmed up.   Got more clamps down.   

clamped.JPG

6 clamps, so far, and haven't glue things up, yet   Had one square  inside, to check a corner, or three..

squared.JPG

Seemed to be square.   Have most of the gaposis fixed.     Decided to load the box up, to see how things would fit..

loaded up.JPG

And to figure out where to put a few dividers.     The thumbscrew may be a problem.    The 12" bevel gauge, may be too long? Close ups?

close up.JPG

But, at least there might be room IF I find anymore of these?   I'll work on this part, and then maybe a lid?   Something like this lid?

top and end.JPG

This little box?  Is now serving at the Auburn Ave. Baptist Church......Pastor hides his stash of candy in it.....has a place of Honour in his office.  I might have enough leftovers to build a lid like this....

3 minutes ago, steven newman said:

Just to take the edge off the pain, of course......( even makes the picture blurry...)

:D:lol::D

3 minutes ago, steven newman said:

Second Opinion is coming on Nov. 22, 1130 hrs......Meanwhile, I have a wee bit of the Irish...

Glad you were able to get an appointment...hoping for better news...keep us posted

If you thought there was a forest of clamps in the dry fit.....should see it now.   Spread a bit of glue around some pins, and added even more clamps.    Will let the glue cure awhile today.    Can't see  much going on, for the forest of clamps being in the way.    And..dripping glue on to my fancy bench's top..LOL

Just checked the remaining Cherry in the supply  stash.....should be enough to frame a lid with.    IF the bench can be cleared off, I can start on the lid build.   Need to size a panel, flatten the panel, and turn it into a Raised Panel.   Then fit it to the frame for a lid.   Nothing fancy....

Well, it IS out of the clamps right now.......somehow one side is shorter than the other?    Have to work around that , I guess.   Set things up to clean the mess up a bit...

in the vise.JPG

Seems to hold things still.    Glue was dribble into any  holes, add a oinch of bandsaw  dust, and sand smooth.   Then a smooth plane was drug out to the bench...

smoother.JPG

I have to watch how much candle wax I rub onto the sole...speeds things up, but I pulled back too far, and then ran a few knuckles up against a corner....Clean jeans now have a "Blood Stripe"

smoothed out.JPG

Not too bad, though.    Worked all four sides like this, then plopped the box on it's bottom..

top edges.JPG

And worked on these edges a bit.  Couple were high on a corner, or two...I think this will do, for now.     Started work on a panel...

ugly panel.JPG

Not the prettiest girl at the dance, but, we have ways...

cambered Jack.JPG

The ironon this old Stanley #5c has been ground to a 8" radius, just for this sort of work....then followed up with the smoother

smooth panel.JPG

Also going at the diagonal.   Some places were a bit stubborn...100 grit beltsander took care of that.    Trimmed the long ends to a bit closer to what I need.   Rotated the panel, and smoothed some more.   Doing both faces.   Whichever one looks the best, will be the "show" side...

cleaned up.JPG

Might be this one?   hand was getting sore, back was getting stiff, I WAS going to do a bit on the parts for the lids frame....

frame parts.JPG

All I got done was cutting these to length.   That bead will be planed off, when I make the panel into a raised panel.   I think  I can take a break for awhile...stay tuned...

• 3 years later...