Friday, Oct 28th, What's on Your Patriot Woodworker Agenda?

John Moody

Here we are at the last of the Friday's in October, weather is still hot around here and the leaves have turned brown and falling off the trees. We are in an official drought now and early in the year it was raining everyday. Oh well you never know what you are going to get around here.

This past week we finished up the Green Egg Tables and one Poplar table without the hole in it for a customer and got them delivered. 

IMG_7188.jpg

IMG_7187.jpg

We had so many little pieces of cut offs on the cedar that we decided to try to make something instead of cutting it up for kindling. So we can up with this idea to make come crates. Would be great for storage in the closet, at home, in the garage or shop. So this is the first one and we have enough to do quite a few more.

I've got to trim the edges square since we were just playing with what we had.

IMG_7193.jpg

I also got six large end grain cutting  boards glued up, cut, glued again and sanded yesterday. I really love my new 24" Grizzly dual drum sander. We got all six boards sanded flat on both sides in less than an hour. It sands at 100 and 150 grit on each pass. Today they will get a finish sanding and oil applied.

IMG_7192.jpg

I made a short run up to my sawyer yesterday to get some Maple and Red Elm he had cut for me. The Red Elm looks almost like Walnut to me, but has a grain closer to Oak. So I've got to get it off the trailer and sticker and stacked this weekend.

IMG_7194.jpg

What ever it is, I love the look of it.

IMG_7195.jpg

Won't be too much shop time this weekend as I am headed to a gun shop on Saturday. Who knows, we might not get a chance to attend them after a few weeks. Going to make the best of it while I can.

So what about you all or y'all, what do you have on your agenda this weekend? We all here at TPW love to see your projects and what is going on in and around  your shop. Share with us and post those project pictures so we can see what you are working on.

Work safe and have a great weekend!

Great work John!

I love your lumber haul, specially that last image of the unknown wood? It looks like Walnut.

I'll be in and out of the shop this weekend, but when I am in the shop, I'll be working on my chair, and in between waiting for glue to dry, I really want to start in on my hand plane build, I am really chomping at the bit to get use of that new Hock iron I purchased.

Have a great weekend folks!

Have a painting "crew" coming over, to FINALLY finish the retore from the upstairs bedroom  fire.....What, about over a year ago?   Insurance company finally decided to get on the ball....

Got treated to a "Bait & Switch"  at a Chevy Dealership last night......deciding on how to proceed against that...besides the walking out the door I did last night.

IF, IF, the Honey-dos and other errands can take a day off.....I might, just MIGHT get to the shop for a while.....

2 hours ago, Stick486 said:

you mean your work of art...

this I'm waiting patiently on... sorta...

Stick said my thoughts too, Mr Morris

Good luck with the painting Steve. Not something I like

Have fun with your brother Dan

Mr Moody, those tables look great. I like idea for the cut offs. That ubknown wood looks interesting

@John Moody Nice load of raw stock John. Great you have a place to store & dry. Awesome idea on the leftovers...much better use than kindling. :P Great looking cutting boards too; nice contrast and pattern. Safe travels.

@John Morris Eagerly anticipating the next chapter of the rocker; I just plane envious of a hand-built plane thread.

I got mowing to get back to after rains; need to start cleaning some scrub growth out of fir, pine & spruce trees now that's it's cooler (although supposed to be in upper 70's Sat.); hope to get back on my plane iron & chisel sharpening plus my block plane stable refurbishing...seem to really relax in the quiet while sharpening and never have had wood tools this sharp, ever.:lol: Couple other projects I may try to tackle too depending on weather.

Be safe all and always keep eyes and mind on the task no matter what you're doing.

Beautiful work, Moody. What's your customer's plan for that holeless table? 

No shop time for me until Tuesday. We'll get home from Tucson late Monday. Hope to have Morris#2 ready for finish by next Friday. Then it's on to a partially finished maple and walnut jewelry case and two rifle cases.