Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Cal

TV over the fireplace

Rate this topic

This was my project today.  As a little background, I am prepping to remodel the upstairs which has 2 bedrooms and a full bath.  A future remodel of the downstairs includes removal of a load bearing wall between the kitchen and living room.  Accordingly, I am having the wall removed and new beam installed prior to going upstairs.  Outside of this common wall, the only other rational place for the TV is either on a table, or mounted to the wall above the fireplace.  A table would either block the fireplace, or be in front of a window - therefore, mounted it is...

Looking at the "before" pic, the TV would have nearly touched the ceiling!  Might have been watchable from a recliner, but probably for no more than 30 minutes at a time and I would have been asleep...  So, I removed the existing mantle and used the pattern to make a new "shelf" which is a good bit lower.  TV is up and placement is ok with SWMBO.

The fireplace now has a small electric insert.  I am not real happy with this, but it will last until I remodel the downstairs.

Something I learned while doing this project... it is better to have the shelf and TV align with the bricks than be perfectly level!  I had to hang that shelf twice learning that!!!

Also, I have not decided on whether to put some brackets under the shelf.  Probably give that some thought while watching TV some night.

Cal

IMG_0821.jpg

IMG_0052.JPG

Edited by Ron Dudelston
tags added

I like it!

We have the same problem at our place, with the difference between level and parallel. In the early 70's, Hurricane Agnes came thru this area. Our basement had 4+ feet of water in it. We had it pumped out but it refilled quickly. The shifting weight of water and the pressure from the ground water caused  the center of the house to shift enough that hanging anything close to the ceiling is  a balancing act between level and parallel. I've gone with splitting the difference. I imagine the multiple brick joints compounds the problem.

3 hours ago, clhyer said:

Probably give that some thought while watching TV some night.

Assuming of course you're not in the recliner asleep! :D

Very tastefully done. Really like the "floating" shelf  design.

Now get one of the those burning fireplace DVD's to play and you can have "stereo" fireplaces...you'll never get out of the recliner then!:lol:

Very,very, nice! We have the same problem in our new digs, no place for the TV except over the fireplace.....something I didn't want to do (and still haven't). For the meanwhile we have the old TV cabinet sitting in front of the firplace with the TV on it; causing a lot of odd looks from visitors. I hope to get the rack installed in the nest week. Good point about the level/parallel, I'll have to check the mantle before I start.

Thanks all, for the kind words.

Dadio, The shelf and attachment is a very simple system.  The shelf itself is constructed with a 2x4 ripped in half.  One 2x2 is used to join top and bottom surfaces.  Second 2x2 was screwed to the fireplace with Tapcon screws.  Then the shelf installed over it and attached from underneath.  It is pretty solid, and does not seem to need further support (based upon it's still hanging this morning).  I think if I had used 1x10's for more of a "mantle" look further support would have been necessary.   The TV is not actually sitting on the shelf, it is attached to a Harbor Freight bracket Tapconned to the fireplace.  We have just a slight tilt on the TV.  There is a sound bar sitting on the shelf under the TV.

Cal

image_24925.jpg

@clhyer , I see now, I thought the sound bar was part of the TV and the weight of the TV was sitting on the shelf.

Did the mortar joints come out right for the Tapcon's or did you drill them into the brick? Looks like plenty of options on the mounting rack to pick or choose. You did good centering it to the fireplace opening too. good job.

Herb

11 hours ago, clhyer said:

Thanks Herb, there were plenty of options using that TV bracket.  All screws were into mortar, no brick.

Cal

Cal, Any concerns or issues, etc. with the bracket from H-F? Is the finish powder coat or????

Have been giving one of these some thought, just hadn't decided to pull the plug (no pun intended).

Is there any provision on the bracket as is or with additional kit to mount the sound bar?

Dan, I am sure that the height will be ok.  Right now the sofas are so far away it is not an issue at all.  I think it is Crutchfield.com, their website has a lot of useful info that deals with size of screen, height off the floor and such.  This TV is now 44" off the floor, so not too bad.

Dave, I think it might be powder coat - but not positive.  I did not try to scratch it or anything.  It is not real heavy duty, but these new TV's do not weigh much at all.  I don't know of an additional kit for the sound bar, but you could fab one up pretty easily I expect.  Our soundbar (Samsung) came with two small mounting brackets to attach to a wall or sit on a shelf.  It would not be to difficult to hang something below the TV to mount those bracket to.  Probably every make of soundbar (and size) has it's own mounting brackets...

Cal

Nice job Cal. I learned the lesson of "reveal is more important than level or plumb"  Years ago when remodeling a house. The siders came in and sided a section (fortunately small) They installed the siding level which really showed off the out of level windows, corners etc. of the 100 plus year old house.  They got to do it again.  Looked so much better when going by reveal.  Anyway, Great job and way to follow your gut.