Claro Walnut Rocker Rear Leg Glue Up

John Morris

The rear legs are now glued up today. These will sit over night before the clamps are removed. While these are setting up I'll be working on the front legs and head rest today.

All the strength I have is exerted on these clamps. Then I'll wait 5 minutes and wrench them down more if there is room left. 

1476563964172-1423424939.jpg

14765640645401320280271.jpg

1476564200987622295346.jpg

54 minutes ago, Chips N Dust said:

I second what Stick said

I second what Kelly said! :rolleyes:...and no way am I looking directly into the seat bottom this week! :lol:

John, the squeeze out appears to be ordinary white glue. Is it? If so why that choice opposed to Titebond II or III or equivalent? 

17 minutes ago, Grandpadave52 said:

John, the squeeze out appears to be ordinary white glue. Is it? If so why that choice opposed to Titebond II or III or equivalent? 

It is indeed Tightbond III Dave, for two reason, first color, second as most of us know, it has a long open time. The amber color is always a good fall back just in case, sometimes a micro gap may happen, and the amber color in darker woods can hide that gap. The joints on this chair however won't need that fallback protection, they turned out flawless! Whew!

3 hours ago, John Morris said:

It is indeed Tightbond III Dave, for two reason, first color, second as most of us know, it has a long open time. The amber color is always a good fall back just in case, sometimes a micro gap may happen, and the amber color in darker woods can hide that gap. The joints on this chair however won't need that fallback protection, they turned out flawless! Whew!

Thanks John for the learning lesson. Must be the lighting or contrast to the walnut or just my eyes...it just appeared more of a bright white than TB3.

I'll never ever be adept enough to do something like this, but I really appreciate following along on this project.

17 hours ago, Gerald said:

John I see you have the pads on clamps that came on them. I had a problem with those leaving what appeared to be an oil spot on the wood and started glueing leather pads on clamps. Do you have that problem?

I do indeed have the same issues Gerald. 

14766413026192057221809.jpg

But with all the sanding I do, I never worried about it. The spots are gone in minutes.

That being said, I love the leather pad idea. The plastic pads tend to slip.