John Moody

Friday, Oct 14th, What's on Your Patriot Woodworker Agenda?

Rate this topic

So that is your agenda for the weekend John! That agenda would up an entire month of weekends the way I work!

Your office looks wonderful too, great job, it all looks wonderful. So the Barnes, what a need score, ya it would look cool fully restored, but I agree with you, nothing wrong with leaving it as for as long as you get the hankerin.

I'll be in my shop working on a few things, a walnut rocker, and continuing on with my jigs and templates for the shaker chairs that will be in my line up. In between all of that, taking breaks to toss the foot ball with my son, helping with homework, throw a few baskets with the boy, and get my daughters to their school related events. It'll be a busy weekend, well balanced, but busy!

Chair #2 assenbly. Starts with tenon tuning. I like this part of the process. It's the aaahh factor. 

Gotta get some pictures of the details, as promised. 

All you can eat walleye and catfish tonight. That means more time in the shop cuz I'll not be eating lunch.

Moody:   There is a fellow over on LumberJocks that is trying to refurb up almost the same mortiser machine.    Except his was lacking the foot pad.    It did have ONE chisel, he had a devil of a time getting it out.   Chisel looks almost like two blades, back to back.   He found out that a 3/4" drive socket works to take bolts off..IF you just use the extension and a cresent wrench.  He was wondering what type of taper they used on the chisel's shank.....M1, or M2?

Whats on my Agenda ?  What is on my work bench? Paint and more paint. The HOA here regularly drives by and makes sure that homes are up to standards. I am not complaining, I knew that when I moved here and it does eliminate a lot of problems. Such as junk cars, ugly homes, etc. After the huge hail storm, every home in the area had roofs replaced, screens torn, and paint ruined. The paint on this house was damaged and needed repainted. Rather than have the HOA make me, I started painting the damaged area only. Lot cheaper that way. I got some white paint and did the side of the house and a porch. When I stopped I stepped back to see that the new white didn't match the old and it looked really bad. I put some gray in it, brown in it and kept adding till it is a close match. 

NOW I CAN DO IT ALL AGAIN 

My agenda? Building a fireplace. Not the brick and mortar kind, but a replica for a Christmas display at the garden center where I put in some part-time hours as a handyman and water garden guy. The ladies come up with ideas, pictures, etc., and I try to build it. A few years back Santa needed a sleigh, ASAP! Got the request on a Thursday, delivered the product on Sunday. I like the challenge, and they pay for materials. Plus, of course, a small wage.

John

My agenda?  Trying to stay out of the pokey.  Inside joke.....ask Moody.   My son and I have tickets to the Notre Dame-Stanford game tomorrow night at South Bend and Sunday I'll be catching up on my sleep before the Colt's game.  Rough schedule, huh?

I get together with one of my brothers every weekend and one weekend a month all six of us get together for dinner and this is that weekend and tomorrow is the day.  Good times.  I will continue to make the string tops.  I have twelve made so about 48 to go.  Fun project but I got to spend more time turning them and less time playing with them. 

1 hour ago, steven newman said:

Moody:   There is a fellow over on LumberJocks that is trying to refurb up almost the same mortiser machine.    Except his was lacking the foot pad.    It did have ONE chisel, he had a devil of a time getting it out.   Chisel looks almost like two blades, back to back.   He found out that a 3/4" drive socket works to take bolts off..IF you just use the extension and a cresent wrench.  He was wondering what type of taper they used on the chisel's shank.....M1, or M2?

Steve, I have not been able to find an original Barnes Chisel for this one. I did find a Houston which is the same time period and fits the machine. I am guessing but I think this is a M1 taper. It is smaller than a M2. I found one complete set of Barnes chisels but they wanted 1000.00 for the set of 10, out of my price range.

I have cut a couple of mortises with this chisel on this machine just to see if it worked.

Houston Chisel.jpg

Hunting is out with the storm tomorrow. I am going to slip our of work a little early this afternoon and try to get some in before the close the east side of the freeway for elk season. May have to work (storm damage control) on one of our projects. Other than that, work in the shop, keep the fire going in the house.

3 hours ago, John Moody said:

Steve, I have not been able to find an original Barnes Chisel for this one. I did find a Houston which is the same time period and fits the machine. I am guessing but I think this is a M1 taper. It is smaller than a M2. I found one complete set of Barnes chisels but they wanted 1000.00 for the set of 10, out of my price range.

I have cut a couple of mortises with this chisel on this machine just to see if it worked.

Houston Chisel.jpg

OK guys, put out an APB for these chisels for John.

7 hours ago, Ron Dudelston said:

My agenda?  Trying to stay out of the pokey.  Inside joke.....ask Moody.   My son and I have tickets to the Notre Dame-Stanford game tomorrow night at South Bend and Sunday I'll be catching up on my sleep before the Colt's game.  Rough schedule, huh?

Wow, you guys must know somebody that knows somebody...great score...

Might be best to catch up on your sleep DURING the Colts game Ron...too much pressure on them; win tied for division lead not as if that's something to really put on one's resume...lose, 2 games out...if the O-line learned to block this week and the defense boarded the plane, they might make a game of it.

Had plans for today to head here Covered Bridge Festival  today since it's "opening season" to do a little rust hunting. Oldest grand-daughter asked "Are you going by yourself?", then stated "I get done with football by 1 on Saturday...I'd like to go with you"...so guess I'll be going tomorrow afternoon. A couple of big flea markets about 30-45 minutes away I always try to hit during these 10 days. Usually first and last Fridays of event.

So today, spent a little more time working on some planes, cleaning some other tools, sorting some material besides my daily domestic duties.

Going to try to get some more fall gardening prep work in and hit the property 1x more with weed-eater for the season. Probably will listen to Colts while doing some small jobs in the garage on Sunday.

Enjoy the weekly updates & progress reports on the shop John; particularly enjoy the pictures and trying to find the items you describe in the text; took me a few seconds, but found the lathe in the first pic.:P

Regardless what all, ya'all are doing, be safe and ever present of your surroundings!