Stick486

Cleaning up after somebody else...

Rate this topic

Stick, what a great job. I really loved the copper work too, I always have liked that look. Actually I really like the metal roof look as well for an entire home. The window work is superb.

As an aside question: Here on the west coast we don't really deal with any metal siding on our homes, you'll never really see it at all unless it's on an older home that was sided back in the 60's or 70's when out here, it was very popular, thanks to the "Tin Men" sales in the day.

Is the metal siding actually installed during new home construction, or is it still an after market installation once the homeowner gets tired of the original siding or look of the home?

12 minutes ago, John Morris said:

Is the metal siding actually installed during new home construction, or is it still an after market installation once the homeowner gets tired of the original siding or look of the home?

it's vinyl..

the house had to be stripped and the siding reinstalled...

what started it was the siding wasn't fully locked together and popping loose...

and the discoveries were found... (windows/doors were not flashed and so much more)

also the installers used pneumatic roofing nailers w/ 2'' nails...

lots of fixes.. ans in unreal many.l..

the nails were about 8~10'' apart so there were all kinds of piercings like outlet boxes, house electric panel, (7 hits) the SE cable, (2 hits) water lines, (27 or 28 hits) wiring/CAT cables, (lets just say many) DWV and etc...

you get the idea...

got a question for you John...

Ron edited this series which I had tagged ''Yesteryear xxxxx''..

those tags are now gone...

WHY???

doing that sure made it harder to find my post..

can you put the ''Yesteryear'' tag back in please...

Well, I am not very familiar with vinyl siding.  It looks like a wonderful job to me.  However, I have one question.  What keeps the water from running inside the top of the window.  I like watching Mike Holmes on DIY channel.  He is often explaining about how to keep out the water.  These windows appear to me that they would catch the water at the top and run it down the side which is where it would get inside the structure.  No plans on doing this, just trying to figure it out.  Thank you for helping me understand.

Steve in Pensacola, FL

I believe a "J" shape channel fits around the top and sides of the windows. The siding fits into the channel above the windows and along the sides to direct the water away.

5 minutes ago, FlGatorwood said:

These windows appear to me that they would catch the water at the top and run it down the side which is where it would get inside the structure. 

in the top picture the window flanges are covered w/ bituminous membrane.. the window to the left and bay window are completed but the window on the right isn't yet...

all of the flashing and underlayment is put on like you would roof shingles... the top course overlays the next one down... the 2nd pic shows this a bit better...

the windows do have water channels and there are chases to keep the water out of the house...

Mid-way through.JPG

100_2025.JPG