Rate this topic

I glued up a bunch of segmented plywood ornament blanks and am hollowing globes today. Just started hollowing this and one of those aggravating fall bees landed on my hand. I flinched just enough to get a catch. Hate it because after cutting, gluing and shaping I've got a fair bit of time in one of these. On the bright side it looks like my glue joints were pretty good and I'll use the rest of it for a two piece top.

Steve

IMG_1828.JPG

IMG_1829.JPG

15 minutes ago, Chips N Dust said:

Ouch! Sorry to hear about that. Did you let the bee off with just few harsh words or punish him more?

It was probably a pay back. There's a nest of them in the soffit just outside our back door. Makes sitting on the patio a lot less fun. Yesterday, I put a couple tablespoons of diesel in my shop vac and propped the wand up to their entry/exit hole. It totally catches them by surprise when they get close. Figure there's a few hundred of them in here.

Steve

IMG_1830.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2016 at 2:31 PM, Steve Krumanaker said:

It was probably a pay back. There's a nest of them in the soffit just outside our back door. Makes sitting on the patio a lot less fun. Yesterday, I put a couple tablespoons of diesel in my shop vac and propped the wand up to their entry/exit hole. It totally catches them by surprise when they get close. Figure there's a few hundred of them in here.

Steve

IMG_1830.JPG

I have done  in-ground and a soffit  wasp nests with a shop vac.  I had to run it a very, very long time to get 'em all.  The Soffit nest was a horror show because  larvae in the nest stank and then the Stink Bugs came by the trainload to devour the larvae.   Since then, I've learned a trick  works every time; a small squirt of gasoline  (couple teaspoons worth - less even) can kill a whole nest overnight.  Works with ant nests too.  Plus, in the spring it stops them building that nest if you get to it early.

Gasoline has medicinal uses too.   Apply it to an afflicted area for a 20 second period and it kills all skin  surface fungal  infections. Once and done.  Dunno about toe nail  fungus, I think that's in the root, but ya could try.

Fuel oil and Diesel will wash out and kill  hair lice  and crabs in one application.

• 3 years later...