MWTCA October 2016 "What's It" Contest

John Morris

Ok ladies and gentlemen, we now have our October what's it live and ready!

So far we are 0 for 4! We just can't figure out what these wonderful examples of tools are!

The image(s) below is the current MWTCA "What's It" image for you to research, and tell us all here in this topic post, just what the heck is it!

Remember, the first accurate answer wins a one year membership to the awesome organization MWTCA!

For a run down on this project and the rules, please see this page at "The Patriot Woodworker and MWTCA "What's It" project"

156-9.jpg.jpeg

156-9a.jpg.jpeg

So without further Adieu, "What's It!" Submit your answers (and fun commentary) in the reply box. And win a one year membership for MWTCA for your correct answer!

Keep in mind, the MWTCA does not know what this item is either, the image was submitted by one of its members for us to research. Lets help MWTCA find an answer.

4 minutes ago, Ron Altier said:

So you want to draw a circle and .....................someone made a deluxe version.

It is a draftsman tool. I used something similar in shop class about 55 years ago. 

Ok Ron, time to put on the detectives coat, can you search it out and find a pedigree or proof of what you believe it is?

3 minutes ago, Ron Altier said:

That is compelling Ron, but I don't see any compass style pin apertures or tips for drawing or centering on the work. All the ends are squared off, with no apparent way to attach a drawing implement or point.

• 4 weeks later...

I went to their web site and I did get another clue, its probable origin

"Attached is a photo of a solid brass, 12-inch gauge I recently found. It has a scale that is divided into tenths of an inch and is adjusted using a gear rack drive. There are no markings that would help to identify the gauge’s origin and the numbers are hand-stamped. Anyone have any ideas as to the intended use of this item? It probably originated in New England, since that is where it was found."

1 hour ago, Ron Altier said:

I went to their web site and I did get another clue, its probable origin

"Attached is a photo of a solid brass, 12-inch gauge I recently found. It has a scale that is divided into tenths of an inch and is adjusted using a gear rack drive. There are no markings that would help to identify the gauge’s origin and the numbers are hand-stamped. Anyone have any ideas as to the intended use of this item? It probably originated in New England, since that is where it was found."

No photo Ron!