Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Dear folks, help us raise funding for our community directly. And in the process you'll have a chance to win some terrific tools donated by our sponsors!  Read More...

kmealy

Strength of rabbet and dado joint?

Rate this topic

1/2" BB is a bit skinny.  I did lock rabbet joints in 3/4 BB cabinet (joints were about 20 & 30" long).  It did ok, but I wouldn't do it again (I'd use pocket screws).  I found that the fine/thin laminations (esp in BB) tended to shred when cut partially, and you really have to work at it to get the depth exactly the same all along the seam.  You may also find that once you get exactly the same depth, the laminations aren't quite uniform, so you can see layers drift in/out of your cut.  If you get really "lucky" you may expose a glue layer, and then wonder how well glue sticks to glue.  On that project (3-in-1 crib and dresser, two of each) I learned that BB does indeed come in grades, and most sellers have no idea what they actually stock, or what the stamps on the BB mean.  One lot was so bad that when I cut a 2" strip (2x60), it separated along a layer that obviously had insufficient adhesive.  In large sections, the stuff (BB) is beauticious, but doesn't subdivide all that well in the laminate direction.  I ended up doing a lot of filler where some of the tabs on the female side of the lock rabbet broke off.

I have used such a joint for many applications. The modification I use is to leave no more than 1/8" material on the rabbit. Assemble with glue and 23 gauge pin nailer . On boxes etc. trim corner with a 45 degree router bit----- makes the joint virtually disappear-------In my experience this joint is as strong as any due to the glue surface, in the case of Baltic Birch 1/2", nearly 1"-----works for me.

7 hours ago, Fred W. Hargis, Jr said:

I would at least use the drawer lock configuration, 24" is a lot of drawer...and it's filled with some relatively heavy stuff. I've done quite a few shop drawers out of 1/2" BB using the drawer lock. None haeve failed, even with the weight they carry.

Not sure what you mean by "drawer lock."

My main concern is the introduction of short grain due to plywood.   But this is what I had in mind:

Blind-Cut-Rabbet-Joint.jpg

Why 1/2?  

a ) That's what I have in stock

b ) 1/2" is normally what I see in drawer sides.

49 minutes ago, kmealy said:

Not sure what you mean by "drawer lock."

My main concern is the introduction of short grain due to plywood.   But this is what I had in mind:

Why 1/2?  

That's a good solid joint Keith, I'd feel very comfy with that.

1 hour ago, kmealy said:

Why 1/2?  

that little block is the weak link... loose it ahead of time...

look to the 2nd pic and go that way..

½'' will be fine

Same here.   No sign of any failure over 4 years old.   I do have the slow close slides which prevents a solid hit.    My silverware drawer is about 24" wide also.   Also have a 24" wide  deep drawer using the same joint and 1/2" plywood, no failures anywhere.   I also use 1/2" ply for the drawer bottom.   Roly

Edited by Roly

Got the drawer box built and this week and installed today.   The old one had had several repairs done (poorly) by DPO (dreaded prior owner).  Big smile on my face as I tossed it in the garbage toter.

Making the new one was fine, getting installed was a pain.   12mm Baltic birch ply.   I wanted to replace the glides and I have a whole box full of cabinet glides,probably 30 sets or so, plus some odds and ends leftovers.   What I learned

There is no standardization between vendors

- K&V don't work with Belwith, not the glides, not the rear mounts, nothing.

- Due to old mods, the cabinet pieces needed to be 600 mm to reach the back support, the drawer pieces needed to be 550 mm to fully close and not interfere with the back support. 

- Do you think I had a combination with the Belwith?  Noooooo.   

- Do you think the K&V fit in the rear supports?   Noooo.  

-  Do you think the K&V rear supports were the same height as the Belwiths?  Noooo.

- Why did I have two left side K&V rear supports and no right side???

Ended up buying a whole new set and using half of each old and new set.  Thankfully the first store I went to had the right brand.

IMG_7712.JPG

Edited by kmealy

2 hours ago, Chips N Dust said:

I feel your pain - reno jobs are almost always a PITA

For some reason, drawer glides seem to lack any industry standards in any cabinet or piece of furniture I've worked on.  I also have a box of rear nylon supports for center glides that fit a variety of widths and depths.

Over the past 19 years I've made tons of drawers at my job for the School District as Kmealy describes in his first post.

Glue them and brad nail through the side and they be fine. At the district we don't usually get fancy 1/2 BB just plywood.

Edited by Richard McComas