Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Rate this topic

I thought I would share this pic with you and you can give me some guidance how to store wood for turning.  This is persimmon given to me by a friend.  I cut it into 14" lengths as I decided to make rolling pins from it.  It grew to about 3" diameter with bark and all.  Where I trimmed off branches, I painted all cut and exposed surfaces with latex paint.  I left it near the house so that it would not get rained on and could dry slowly in the local humidity.  Sadly, some little bug like a borer got into this wood.  After removing the bark and truing it, I turned this with a skew.  This is not sanded, but the dark area is fresh mineral oil.  I find this as beautiful wood.  The crack is what stopped me.  If I don't find something else to do with this, you can see from the picture where it is going.  Thanks for looking.

Steve, the old FlGatorwood

persimmonSS.jpg

Steve,

I've never turned persimmon and didn't realize it was such a dark wood. Too bad about the crack. I've made large spoons from branches and they sometimes crack length wise on the handles. This is especially true if I make the center of the turning on the center of the branch. It's better if the branch is big enough in diameter so it can be split and therefore moving the turning center away from the branch center. It has something to do with relieving the stresses in the wood.

Thanks for posting this!

Ron,

I never even considered the possibility.  I know from experience that if it split, it can burst apart and cause injury.  So, I got scared and just wanted to see what it looked like with oil.  I'll visit Lowe's to see if they have black epoxy.  Thanks for a great suggestion. 

Lew, I may cut it into, run it across the jointer and after gluing, turn it enough to round it out.  Hmmm!  Good possibilities. 

Steve, the old FlGatorwood

Edited by FlGatorwood

The center of any piece of growing wood called the pith will be prone to cracks and splits. Sometimes you can get past this and sometime not. In a bowl you can drill out the pith and replace it with a peg or epoxy. the crack can be filled but with a branch there is a good chance the crack will continue thru the wood. Just try it with the consequence in mind.

It has been my experience that all branches split.  I have yet to take a walk in the woods and see a dead branch that does not have a split in it.  Filling the crack is the only option but you may want to let it sit a month nor two to be sure it has stabilized.