Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
John Moody

Friday, Sept 23rd, What's on your Patriot Woodworker Agenda?

Rate this topic

Wow can you believe that Fall is officially here and it is still in the 90's here. Oh well, it won't be long to the cooler air arrives and the weather gets cold.

Thankfully while my good friend Ron was here we got all the insulation up and all the full sheets up plywood so all I have now to do is the small stuff. What a great time we had and I am so thankful for he and Dorothy coming down to help me out. Believe it or not, he even left some M&M's.

So the last thing we did was clean out the Finishing room and Storage room.

Storage room cleaned.jpgStorage room door to shop.jpg

We got the door installed that will go from the storage room into the shop so I am about ready to close up the wall that I have left open to move between rooms while working.

Storage to shop.jpg

A view from the storage room into the shop.

We had to install two doors, a single and a set of French doors.

Doors to storage and finsihing.jpg

The French doors will allow me to move large items as they are finished assembly into the finishing room. A look into the finishing room from the shop.

Looking into finishing room.jpg

And a look back into the shop.

Finishing to shop door.jpg

This will also allow me a lot of natural light into the assembly area of the shop.

So this weekend I am finishing up the last of the electrical and then will start to cut the small pieces of wall plywood and get it up and installed so the walls can get painted. Before I move anything into the area, the floors will get painted with the epoxy paint.

So I will be finishing up some cutting boards this weekend and we finished and delivered two Big Green Egg tables made of cedar yesterday.

Pair of Green Egg Tables.jpg

Thats about it for me, what's on your agenda this weekend? As I say all the time, we here at TPW love to see all the projects you are working on and love the pictures. So share your weekend plans with us.

I'll be checking  back to see what all you are working on.

Shop to storage.jpg

Your shop addition is really looking awesome! I am green with envy on the extra room you now have.

My weekend plans include stacking some (if I do it all, I probably won't get any shop time) of the wood I had delivered Wednesday evening. During the week I did get the router table all assembled and ready for use. I also worked up a "plan" for the storage underneath it. My idea is to get quite a bit of that built this weekend. The "storage" will basically the combination of 2 router table stands (one from ShopNotes and one from WOOD), built to fit between the legs of the JessEm stand.

I am one of six brats my mother had.  Once a month we meet at a predetermined restaurant for dinner.  Tomorrow is one of those days and I am looking forward to it.  Once a month downtown Youngstown there is a Flea Market and I should be able to make that too in the morning.  This Youngstown Flea, as it is called, only allows vendors who have made the product they are selling.  I enjoy seeing what is there.  Sunday is up for grabs as of yet.

3 hours ago, lew said:

That shop is looking fantastic, John! Ron must be a pretty good helper ;)

Lew, Ron is an awesome helper!. It is nice to work with someone that knows what we are doing and you don't have to stop and explain every detail. Plus is was just a lot of fun having them and getting to pick on each other as we worked. Made the time go by really fast.

3 hours ago, Chips N Dust said:

Your shop addition is really looking awesome! I am green with envy on the extra room you now have.

My weekend plans include stacking some (if I do it all, I probably won't get any shop time) of the wood I had delivered Wednesday evening. During the week I did get the router table all assembled and ready for use. I also worked up a "plan" for the storage underneath it. My idea is to get quite a bit of that built this weekend. The "storage" will basically the combination of 2 router table stands (one from ShopNotes and one from WOOD), built to fit between the legs of the JessEm stand.

Thanks, I am so looking forward to getting to use that space. I already know it is not big enough, but it is going to be nice just to have that much more space. I am really looking forward to the finishing room and being able to move things in there and not have to shut down the shop to put a finish on something. The double doors have a threshold at the bottom to help make it as dust free as it can be. I have a separate AC unit for that room so I am looking forward to finishing.

Can't wait to see the storage on the router table. 

2 hours ago, HandyDan said:

I am one of six brats my mother had.  Once a month we meet at a predetermined restaurant for dinner.  Tomorrow is one of those days and I am looking forward to it.  Once a month downtown Youngstown there is a Flea Market and I should be able to make that too in the morning.  This Youngstown Flea, as it is called, only allows vendors who have made the product they are selling.  I enjoy seeing what is there.  Sunday is up for grabs as of yet.

Dan that sounds like fun. I love Flea Markets. I don't like the ones that sell the overseas box stuff, but I like junk and hand make items. Hope you have an awesome weekend.

Won't be much woodworking(turning) this weekend. Traveling to Springfield OH for my brother and his wife's50'th anniversary party. We'll have a good time for sure.

Steve

TBD........

seriously cool...

What am I working on?   Hmmmm...pain pills?  

Yard Sales were very skimpy.    Just a cheapo drill.    MIGHT do a bit of cleaning on that...IF I can make it down the steps......

John, The shop is cool...having a dedicated finishing room is the pinnacle. I've appreciated seeing the process & progress. I'm sure it was fun as well as productive having Ron there for a few days especially since he works for peanuts (the colored, sugar, chocolate melt in our mouth kind:P)

Just about finished this round of the mow-a-thon...time to service the mower and start over. I did dig around and find an old 1/4" thick piece of mirror glass I had stashed from a building demo years ago. Surprisingly it is flat and true w/i .0015 so I got a little time in today fixing the error of my ways on the Stanley 220 block plane. If all goes well, hope to have it done this weekend and begin on it's sister, an identical Craftsman made by Stanley. Seeing Bill & Steve's tutorials this week has me motivated to redo my plane stash I've accumulated. Daughter & SIL's van needs serviced so that's on the agenda as well.

4 hours ago, Harry Brink said:

Going to be working on more wooden toy cars for the Christmas Shoe Boxes.

Made about 50 of them last year and I'm waiting for the final number to be made for this year.

Very nice Harry and couldn't be for a better purpose either. Thanks for your commitment and sharing!

4 hours ago, Harry Brink said:

Going to be working on more wooden toy cars for the Christmas Shoe Boxes.

Made about 50 of them last year and I'm waiting for the final number to be made for this year.

0705161411.jpg

toy cars.jpg

Harry that is so awesome. What a great idea. Thanks for what you do. 

Wow! A whole lotta work going on in the shops today! I got to play a little in my shop, I worked on a rear seat post form for steam bending chair parts. My jig building days are coming to an end with my chair project, I am getting ready to build a steam box now. I am researching this now. And old turkey fryer, some PVC, and a long wood box are the basics so far, still looking into it.

If anyone has some suggestions for a great steam box that can handle parts up to 4 feet long, they'd be much appreciated.

7 hours ago, John Morris said:

Wow! A whole lotta work going on in the shops today! I got to play a little in my shop, I worked on a rear seat post form for steam bending chair parts. My jig building days are coming to an end with my chair project, I am getting ready to build a steam box now. I am researching this now. And old turkey fryer, some PVC, and a long wood box are the basics so far, still looking into it.

If anyone has some suggestions for a great steam box that can handle parts up to 4 feet long, they'd be much appreciated.

John, I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but I bought a Jewelers Steamer for cleaning jewelry. I got it at an auction for 10.00. My thoughts were use it for steam bending. Maybe I can get it out and hook it up. I'll try to get a picture of it today and post.

8 hours ago, John Morris said:

to start...

Kiln or air dried wood???

When wood is kilned it's taken down to around 8% moisture content -  AND the lignin in the wood is set during the process.....
The lignin is what reacts to steaming. But when it's set by being kilned there's not much you're going to be able to do with it. It will not react to steam any more... or as well as you need or would like it to...
This is why air dried wood is used in steam bending....

notes...

wall paper steamers for a steam supply are great...
if you use a kettle and run out of water in the kettle swap the empty for a kettle of already boiling water so that steaming process isn't interrupted..

double wall stove pipe/components would be even easier... B vent would work too...
single walled stove and a thermal blanket....

the insulation is to protect you more than anything but it does help your process...

time and temp matter... One hour per inch of thickness w/ real live steam.

Better too much steam than too little....

Expect to the PVC to plasticize at around 140° and you risk off gasing w/ cyanide gas...,,

MDF to disintegrate..

MDO to last for a time...

Sheet metal to be forever... cheapest option too...

the BB's will have everything you need in the HVAC isle.. round. square or rectangle...

PS... Herb (Dadio) built a great box...

Veritas® Steam-Bending Instruction Booklet — 05F15.01

Edited by Stick486

51 minutes ago, John Moody said:

John, I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but I bought a Jewelers Steamer for cleaning jewelry. I got it at an auction for 10.00. My thoughts were use it for steam bending. Maybe I can get it out and hook it up. I'll try to get a picture of it today and post.

Thanks John! When you get a chance that would be great!

15 minutes ago, Stick486 said:

But when it's set by being kilned there's not much you're going to be able to do with it. It will not react to steam any more...

There's a simple cure for that Stick, soak it overnight in a tub of water. Works great!:) A little trick chair builder and friend Russ Filbeck taught me a few years back when I was in his shop and we were discussing this exact circumstance.

But to answer your question, I'll be working with whatever is available at the time I purchase the lumber. Kiln or air dried, no matter.