In an answer...

steven newman

On another site I float around in.   There is a topic about the handle on a hatchet.....Got to thinking....yeah....I might have one of those strange tools..

No, it didn't come out of one of these tubs..

tool tubs.JPG

Lovely looking bunch?   The one that is sitting in the Tool Tote at the moment, MIGHT be a bit better..

hatchet handle.JPG

Used to be able to read the "gold" lettering on the wooden handle.....Official Scout Camp Axe

Has a brass screw, takes a flat bladed screwdriver, to adjust the wedge for  tightness.    Why it has a nail puller notch, who knows.. The best part of the Hatchet?

logos.JPG

Is these two "logos"  stamped into the side of the head.    The rectangle one has "PLUMB" inside it.    The other?    Something about "Be Prepared"   Other side is rather plain, though...

plain side.JPG

MIGHT need a bit of stone work on the edge?    Near as I can find out, this one was my Late FIL's.    He never did throw anything away..

Whether to sharpen up and use ( have a Fiskars)  or, just oil it up and display it...somewhere..

30 minutes ago, steven newman said:

Why it has a nail puller notch, who knows..

Guessing a carry over from the days as a roofers tool when installing cedar shingles??? Just guessing...

30 minutes ago, steven newman said:

The rectangle one has "PLUMB" inside it.    The other?    Something about "Be Prepared" 

So made my Plumb Tools specific for Boy Scouts of America (BSA)...don't remember exactly but sure someone on here does, their motto was "Be Prepared"

Interesting find, I think I would clean up, sharpen & preserve for display...w/o research I would guess from the 50'-60's era?

Odd, you should make this post...I've got one in rehab now...not a BSA or Plumb; can't find anything on head...just waiting to apply finish to handle. (BLO/poly) What else? :P Pictures to come sometime later than right now.:D

That would most definitely be a display piece for me, my time on the Scouts as a youth were some of the most enjoyable childhood memories I have. That's a really nice hatchet.

Edit to add: if you ever want to part with that, let me know!

Edited by Fred W. Hargis, Jr

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2016 at 7:05 AM, Fred W. Hargis, Jr said:

That would most definitely be a display piece for me, my time on the Scouts as a youth were some of the most enjoyable childhood memories I have. That's a really nice hatchet.

Edit to add: if you ever want to part with that, let me know!

You'll have to drive down here to pick it up.....

1 hour ago, Ron Dudelston said:

That was probably intentional.  It kept the scouts busy so that the scoutmaster could catch a nap.

I was always impressed by the thought of the early settlers building a log cabin with an ax

Chop a tree down

Hack off all the branches

Chop the top off to length

Notch the ends

After the first log I'd be ready to head back east.

5 hours ago, HandyDan said:

I was always impressed by the thought of the early settlers building a log cabin with an ax. 

Chop a tree down

Hack off all the branches

Chop the top off to length

Notch the ends

After the first log I'd be ready to head back east.

More amazing is watching someone with a well sharpened axe who knows how to use it to chop a log in two. Those axes are much heavier than BSA axes. By the way the BSA long handle axe is a nice tool.

34 minutes ago, Gerald said:

More amazing is watching someone with a well sharpened axe who knows how to use it to chop a log in two. Those axes are much heavier than BSA axes. By the way the BSA long handle axe is a nice tool.

That long ago did the settlers even have a hardened steel for their axe like high carbon steel? 

http://www.fs.fed.us/eng/pubs/pdfpubs/pdf99232823/pdf99232823Pdpi72pt03.pdf

3 hours ago, HandyDan said:

That long ago did the settlers even have a hardened steel for their axe like high carbon steel? 

http://www.fs.fed.us/eng/pubs/pdfpubs/pdf99232823/pdf99232823Pdpi72pt03.pdf

Dan I do not see a reference to what kind of steel the new Bessemer process produced. However it does look like high carbon steel was available in the 1850's. My guess is that prior to that Iron was more prevalent, and yes blacksmiths did harden the edge, just that the iron would not hold an edge as long as steel will. By the way that was a very interesting read. Maybe you have been around Stick too long as your search skills will find anything.

In an old Bostwick Braun Catalog my late FIL used...#43in fact,   there are at least 4 pages of just axes.    i'm  trying to find out where that dang book took off to, as it was in a closet up in the burnt room.....1450+ hard-bound pages,   should be easy to find...right?    I THINK the catalog was from either 1943 or 44, as it gives the "new" UPS rates for '44......Toledo based wholesaler to hardware stores.