Good Monday Morning Patriot Woodworkers! September 19th, 2016

John Morris

Good Monday morning Patriot Woodworker's!

This is your weekly check in and over all motivational topic for jumping out of bed on a wonderful Monday morning! So lets jump up, jump in and jump out into the shop and see what we have done over the weekend, and what we have planned for the week coming. So, what say you all, show your projects of the weekend here, and tell us what you are doing during the week ahead!

TPW News

We've been busy on our end making improvements in your community and just having fun with all the wonderful topics being submitted by all of us. In the back room we have cooked up something for our community, it has been in the works for awhile now since it was suggested by @steamshovel and we are very happy with the results.

We have a new Links Directory where you can submit your favorite woodworking links, and based on the original suggestion, we can also share links that may benefit our veterans.

See this tutorial on how you can submit your links to our directory.

Our Gallery

Lately we have had some beautiful work submitted by you. I thought we'd share some of those albums.

Steven Krumanaker's bowls are beautiful -

Gerald submitted some awesome work as well at Bowls and Platters -

Steven Newman's Walnut Night Stand -

Dale Felice's Chainsaw Carvings -

These are just a few examples of your projects being submitted to our gallery. Keep up the great work folks, please share your work and use our gallery!

The Patriots Pulse

The Patriot Pulse forum has been a success, we've had many suggestions submitted, and many have been implemented, we'd like to also invite you to post your gripes and criticisms as well. We are not perfect, and if you see anything you do not like, or if you experience any aspect of our community that you feel is not right, please disclose it at The Patriot's Pulse. The last thing we want, is for you to be quietly upset at something here, and just leave us. Hey, we can fix it!

Have a wonderful week ahead friends, as ol @Ralph Allen Jones always says, "Keep your hands more than 6" from the blade at all times" I think that is a direct quote!

Eye candy image of the week.

(By Olaf Meister - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=16514577)

1200px-Tischlereimuseum_Rüdiger_Timme_Werkstatt.jpg.jpe

WOW...is it a Monday again...one kinda' loses track when you're not counting! :P

Agreed John, the gallery submissions have all been outstanding. It demonstrates the kind of talent and varied interests of interests here that folks call home!

For the week ahead, repairing a reconditioning SNAFU on a little Stanley 220 block plane. I thought my piece of 12x26x1/2" glass was nearly flat; turns out is was considerably untrue...<_<:blush: I had two other planes I wanted to get re-conned too but have to come up with a better surface plate..Also finishing re-furb on a Stanley "cordless" eggbeater drill...pics to come once I figure out my new phone??:blink::wacko:

Supposed to have a dry spell (maybe 3-4 days in a row), so mowing & trimming will be in full swing on our ~4.5 acres after 12+ inches of rain in the past month; youngest grand-daughter has 3 volley-ball matches this week (all at home), one of which will be for the county championship; since I'm the transportation director, she has to be back at the school by 5 PM each evening so little to be accomplished on those 3 days.

To you and all, have a good week and Be Safe Out There!

You have a great Monday John.

I didn't get one darn thing done that I said I wanted to, I just didn't have the motivation. Perhaps today will be different, we'll see.

With this, I have now made 2,000 posts to this forum LOL Woohoo. OK so I am easily amused and distracted. LOL :D

Edited by Charles Nicholls

Speaking of nightmares, I had some weird dreams last night - a combo of zombies, science fiction and I met Hitler - all in the same dream. Really, Really WEIRD!

I did not get any shop time this weekend. I went over to the coast to see my dad and the GF and I went bottom fishing out of Bandon. We both limited out, plus I caught a Ling Cod and a 30 lb Halibut (had to throw the Halibut back -something about not being able to keep it and the other bottom fish at the same time. However, if we had gone out Sunday, then we could have kept the Halibut. Oregon Fish and Game is stranger than my dreams).

Plan on working on the cabinet under the router table this week.

3 minutes ago, Chips N Dust said:

Speaking of nightmares, I had some weird dreams last night - a combo of zombies, science fiction and I met Hitler - all in the same dream. Really, Really WEIRD!

You gotta lay off the nachos, jalapeno cheese salsa, Code Red Dew & Sci-Fi channel before bed-time! :lol: VOE :P; But I guess this does prove Hitler may have escaped and now is living peacefully as a zombie in the far upper northwest. ;)

4 minutes ago, Grandpadave52 said:

You gotta lay off the nachos, jalapeno cheese salsa, Code Red Dew & Sci-Fi channel before bed-time! :lol: VOE :P; But I guess this does prove Hitler may have escaped and now is living peacefully as a zombie in the far upper northwest. ;)

I have often thought of having some of my weirder dreams analyzed, but I am afraid I would send the poor person out of the room screaming within 5 minutes and then have to pay for them to be in therapy the rest of their life.

Over the weekend I was going to give the band saw a workout.  I still have to do that. 

I did have a nice visit with a friend after I got her garage door working properly.  I had to get one cable back on the drum and oil the rollers and roller stems so the door could move properly.  I should probably do mine too.

Edited by HandyDan

18 minutes ago, HandyDan said:

Over the weekend I was going to give the band saw a workout.  I still have to do that. 

I did have a nice visit with a friend after I got her garage door working properly.  I had to get one cable back on the drum and oil the rollers and roller stems so the door could move properly.  I should probably do mine too.

Am I a friend? I've got garage door rollers in need of some maintenance too! :P

Turning finials this morning. I have about 10 more  for the first batch of ornaments this year. I also spent a lot of time with "Gimp" and "Inkscape" over the weekend. The more I learn about these two programs the more I wish I could take a course on them. I believe they are a great tool for a woodworker. Very powerful graphics programs but along with that comes a very steep learning curve. I did turn some more eggs this weekend and played with the eggbot a little, that goes hand in hand with gimp and inkscape. Haven't mowed for about three days, feel like I'm no vacation! :)

Steve

4 hours ago, Chips N Dust said:

Hot sausage sandwiches with pepper jack cheese and tabasco are not recommended after 8:00PM.

4 hours ago, Steve Krumanaker said:

I also spent a lot of time with "Gimp" and "Inkscape" over the weekend. The more I learn about these two programs the more I wish I could take a course on them.

Here's some Gimp stuff-

https://www.gimp.org/tutorials/

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/top-10-beginner-level-video-tutorials-learn-gimp-fast/

No shop time this weekend, but,  there was a major occurrence  over night, and it's still happening today. It is raining !!! This is the first significant rain we've had this summer. I have a large blue spruce tree in my front yard.. It is the first time  this summer that the rain actually reached the ground under this tree. Not nearly enough to end the drought, but at least enough to get the top soil wet.