Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Rate this topic

I was a meat cutter for about 20 years, and I've been mostly a hobbyist woodworker for about 30 years. I still have all my fingers, complete. There are plenty of machines other then the table saw in the wood shop that can easily take a bite out of you. If you can't pay attention to what your doing and you get injured, then you really have no one to blame but yourself. Plus I hate the fact that SawStop wants to force their saw on everyone in this country, but won't support the American worker. I believe that the saws are made in Taiwan. No thanks. 

Edited by CharlieL

It is discouraging to see the ITC ruling. It's my understanding there are some a few legal things they (Bosch) can do but it's not looking good.

Just one more reason not to support anything offered by SawStop...EVER:angry:

29 minutes ago, Grandpadave52 said:

Just one more reason not to support anything offered by SawStop...EVER:angry:

DITTO!!!

I've read that Steven Gass is a patent lawyer and wrapped so many patents around the table saw (and other tools) that he left no wiggle room for anyone else who would not license from him.  Do you remember when he got turned down by the mfrs that he tried to get a federal law mandating (his) technology.

I support SawStop 100%. I'm not just a user. Ive been seriously  hurt by the table saw...

A hobbyist can refuse, but the profession doesn't get much choice...

Edited by BillyJack

9 minutes ago, BillyJack said:

I support SawStop 100%. I'm not just a user. Ive been seriously  hurt by the table saw...

I've always said, if I ever owned a production shop, the SawStop would be in it, and every other safety device known to man.

My most  productive safety device is myself If I am not thinking right, I'll come back another day. I have even done a dry run without the blade running to see what if. I know accidents happen and I try hard to keep it that way.

Preston

4 hours ago, steamshovel said:

My most  productive safety device is myself If I am not thinking right, I'll come back another day. I have even done a dry run without the blade running to see what if. I know accidents happen and I try hard to keep it that way.

Preston

I'm with ya, Preston. A dry run is always a good tactic.

On 10/28/2017 at 12:24 PM, BillyJack said:

I'll agree to disagree.

I would have insisted on a Saw Stop table for our carpentry shop if they had been available at the time. However, that doesn't mean that I HAVE to accept the system. I, like hundreds of past and present table saw users, with many hundreds of years of total experience have avoided such hand injuries. Please don't take this wrong, as I don't know the circumstances of your tablesaw mishap, but the basic safety precautions have kept many of us injury free before SS ever hit the market. 

Statistically, only roughly 10% of accidents are the result of equipment malfunctions. That leaves 90% of the causes to human error. Yes, SS can take the human error out of the equation, however, at what cost of complacency? There are much more whirly things in the woodworking shop then just table saws.

The saws are quality, the safety system is great, but like many here, I have a sour taste in my mouth over Gass's tactics over the years. In addition, the system itself, is just too destructive. I know, you'll argue that the cost doesn't matter when it comes to someone's hand...I totally agree. However, the Bosch Reaxx system is hands above the SS system. It is cheaper and much less destructive then the SS and every bit as effective.

It is really a shame that Bosch has been locked out of the market by the greed of this shyster lawyer. I saw where Gass sold the SS company, I never saw did hear what the patent or royalty dispositions were on the deal.

We can only hope that; Bosch pursues the patent infringement claims, in court, and eventually wins, or makes a deal for the use of the alleged infringements, or the patent(s) runs out. When Gass's ploy to force other manufacturers to use his system and pay him royalties failed, he declared war on not just the industry but every potential user out there.

...says it all...

Bless Mike Rowe for putting it in simple terms that even the slowest can understand clearly...

9 hours ago, steamshovel said:

Preston

And then you add SawStop... Automatically improved...

Edited by BillyJack

What I don't like about SawStop is, Steve Gass is preventing other manufacturers from producing better versions of table saw safety.

I used a SawStop recently.   I really didn't like that I could not see what the blade was doing.   I guess I've become accustomed to visual control.