Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
kmealy

pellet stoves?

Rate this topic

Topic Summary

Created

Last Reply

Replies

Views

kmealy -
kmealy -

Top Posters

Anyone have experience with pellet stoves?

My new house has a fireplace that I probably won't use as is, and heat is via heat pump.   Would a pellet stove insert be cost effective as supplemental / primary heat source?  1700 sq ft.

Edited by Ron Dudelston
tags added

5 minutes ago, Stick486 said:

in the fire place... no..

lots of lost heat...

stand alone ... very good...

Fireplace with an insert maybe?

the pellet stove fireplace inserts are the ones that have a poor return of investment and heat...

centrally located stand alones work the best...

everybody has them here..

in the corner stoves cook the room they are in and the rest of the house stays cool...

Edited by Stick486

11 hours ago, Stick486 said:

the pellet stove fireplace inserts are the ones that have a poor return of investment and heat...

centrally located stand alones work the best...

everybody has them here..

in the corner stoves cook the room they are in and the rest of the house stays cool...

Makes sense, Dad has a Ben Franklin up at his place in the hills where he lives, it radiates heat from the entire stove, not just from the front. Also, his power goes out frequently up where he's out, seems like a rain, a wind, the power goes out, you breath wrong up there, the power goes out, he's reheated stew on top of his Ben Franklin many times during power outages. The trailer he lives in is all electric, no gas. He's 83 yrs old, and loves "roughing" it like that, he's pretty old school when it comes to that stuff, he makes do, and he's happy. 

Meet my dad, and his grands (our kids). He's a really cool guy, has a ton of stories, served during Korea, Naval Corpsman and served out his time at Balboa Naval Hospital San Diego. He'll make a buck last longer than anyone I know, and he knows how to grow fruit for jams and pies, a generation that won't be with us much longer.

DSC02771.JPG

28 minutes ago, Stick486 said:

great looking bunch John...

but ,, ummmmm .. what happened to you...

Ya well, not much, the good looks came from mama, not me I assure you.:lol:

12 minutes ago, Chips N Dust said:

Great looking clan. You should be proud

They are a great bunch of kids Kelly, we are proud, hard to believe how fast they grow, oldest one is driving to college every day, younger daughter is heading in the same direction with college and all, and son wants to be a Marine, hmmm. 2 outta three aint bad!:lol:

I did not mean to hijack this discussion, but talking about the ol Ben Franklin Stove got me a tad sentimental for my Dad, we need to really enjoy him as much as we can, they don't last forever.

Keith our last house had a pellet stove in the finished basement. This one was a Quadra Fire (considered an above average stove, I guess) that the PO put in. In the 5 years I had it, I went through several electrical malfunctions (there was always an error code to tell me where to look) and i replaced the firepot thermocouple twice ($120/each time.) They have complicated electronics to cope with a variety of safety issues, and they are all low voltage. They work well, as to being cheaper I'm less sure. The PO used this one as the main source of heat (1800 sq ft. with full finished basement) and told me he would burn 5 tons (yep) of pellets a year. At the best price I can find that's about $1000. I didn't use it as the main source of heat, but let the furnace run...LP, and the one year I had it I burned 400 gallons of LP (about $1000 at that time), using the pellet stove to only warm the basement if we were down there. I replaced the furnace the next year with geo/gas backup and kept using the pellet stove for the basement only. I have mixed feelings about them, because they are in one room heating the rest of the house can be a challenge without some good air movement. We could get our basement up to 90º and the rest of the house would still be at 60º. They generate almost no ash, but there is still some that has to be removed and discarded. They do generate some soot, so you have to regularly have to clean inside the firebox (ash and soot) and every once in a while the flue (soot). The schedule depends on how much you burn in the thing. I guess I don't consider them all that good in most circumstances, the one I had cost $2800, and while it was great to have an emergency heat source (I could run it on a small Honda generator) I wouldn't have spent that much of my money on it. I think the pellets have about 380K BTU per bag, and Menard's usually runs them on sale at about $4/bag (40#). Not sure what efficiency they have, but maybe 80% is close?

vent the basement to the upstairs and let some of that 90° get up there.. heat rises...use convection...

the soot is from other than the real deal hardwood and the heat setting is a bit low...

Guess I'll see how the heat pump goes this winter.   Major problem is that though I have a small generator, there is no backup heat here.  Last house had gas and we had a gas fireplace.  Being two doors down from a sub-station, we were also near the top of the service list.

Now being in the boonies, we've been without power a few times this summer already (though one was a truck wiping out a pole, not weather related).

They are top notch for back up, very little power required to run them, in fact the Quadra Fire actually has an optional battery back up to keep it going for a while (I didn't have that). One other thing I didn't mention, the one I had had a completely programmable thermostat. You could change control almost every operating parameter (like flame height, temp control...I set mine to come on if the actual was 2º less than setpoint, and such things) along with the time of day temps and so on. But looking at what they cost (at least that model) it seems like there ought to be a cheaper way. You could install a small gas furnace in the basement to just heat it (and run it off a small genny) or less than what the one I had cost.

Yeah, we don't have natural gas out here either.   A friend from the ww club had a carriage house for a shop that he heated with propane.   He said he paid $75 a year to rent the tank and one filling kept him going all winter.  Lots less than the cost of plumbing gas pipeline out from the house.