John Moody

Friday Aug 26th, What's on Your Patriot Woodworker Agenda?

Rate this topic

As i have posted in the "Show us your Shop' forum most of the week has been spent on the shop expansion and not in the shop. I got busy today and got the outside of the shop expansion painted.

Outside Painted.jpg

I got a call this afternoon and my doors have finally arrived so this weekend we will get the windows and doors installed and hopefully the facia board and the eve's closed in.

So that is my weekend plans, what is on your Patriot Woodworker agenda? We here at TPW love to see all of the wonderful projects you are working on and your weekend plans. I know I am a little late getting this up, but he had a storm come through this afternoon and I had some cleanup in the yard.

I'll be checking back to see what you are working on this weekend.

Now how awesome it that John! Looks like your ready to move in, lets say, tomorrow!?

What a fun project you have been undertaking, I have built several structures garage size, and it's always exciting to get it started, but by half way through, we are just ready to have it over with, I bet you could be at the stage of just wanting it to be over with right John?

I'll be out in the shop for a bit tomorrow, working on some more chair building jigs for my shaker ladder backs. I'll get some progress images up. Other than that, between shuttling our kids to some events this weekend and a barbecue with Dad, I'll be on here as well, spending some wonderful time with our Patriot Woodworkers.

Have a great weekend all!

The shop addition is coming along nicely John M.!  More space is always good!  It seems I am always short on it.

i hope to get some shop time this weekend between kid activities to get the rest of the clean up done on my band saw upgrade project.  If all goes well, perhaps I can get some test cuts this weekend on this big ole dog!  It is a 1963 Powermatic model 81 bandsaw.  I have all of the guide bearings changed out, most of the adjustment points have been cleaned and lubed, and a new power cord is installed.  I still need to clean and install the table, re-attach the counter balance to the top guide bar, and install and adjust a new blade.  I hope to build a mobile base for it as well.  I suspect that it will need some fine tuning as it spent its 54 year life at the mercy of high school shop students.  New paint is TBD as the graffiti scratched patina seems to speak of its history. I may just wipe it with some wax and let it be.  

I should add that the shop class at the school this came from is still intact.  I was happy to hear that they bought a new saw and were going to scrap this one, probably because the foot brake has some issues.  I will be re-lining the brake soon as well.   I hope to use it for sawing small logs into lumber.  I hope you all have a safe woodworking weekend!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

7 hours ago, Bundoman said:

The shop addition is coming along nicely John M.!  More space is always good!  It seems I am always short on it.imageproxy.php?img=&key=3c03e03cfca50bb9

i hope to get some shop time this weekend between kid activities to get the rest of the clean up done on my band saw upgrade project.  If all goes well, perhaps I can get some test cuts this weekend on this big ole dog!  It is a 1963 Powermatic model 81 bandsaw.  I have all of the guide bearings changed out, most of the adjustment points have been cleaned and lubed, and a new power cord is installed.  I still need to clean and install the table, re-attach the counter balance to the top guide bar, and install and adjust a new blade.  I hope to build a mobile base for it as well.  I suspect that it will need some fine tuning as it spent its 54 year life at the mercy of high school shop students.  New paint is TBD as the graffiti scratched patina seems to speak of its history. I may just wipe it with some wax and let it be.  

I should add that the shop class at the school this came from is still intact.  I was happy to hear that they bought a new saw and were going to scrap this one, probably because the foot brake has some issues.  I will be re-lining the brake soon as well.   I hope to use it for sawing small logs into lumber.  I hope you all have a safe woodworking weekend!

Congrats on the PM beauty!   At least there is one school system smart enough to keep their industrial arts program intact. 

The shop addition is moving right along, Moody. Bet you are chomping at the bit to get to working inside.

Great haul, Brent. Good looking PM BS. You can make a lot of lumber with that.

Hey Morris, when you gonna make another Maloof rocker? Ever think of adapting a ladder back for rockers? 

Your tables DAB or a job?

pair of side tables for our bedroom.  to go with the new bed i finished a few weeks ago.

the bed:

also white oak, i designed and made the punched metal inserts, there are 4 large drawers underneath for storage.

i looked into starting a woodworking business, but decided not to.  too many taxes and too many record keeping requirements to keep .gov happy.  screw that.  i either make things for our own use, or largely give stuff away.  some folks are generous and reimburse for the material costs.  keeps me out of trouble.  besides, how many people would pay what i want for that bed and table set?

IMG_2711.jpg

IMG_2712.JPG

Those tables are really very nice, Douglas. And that bed headboard is awesome. The punched tin designs are super, too. I'm partial to those designs. 

most excellent Douglas...

4 hours ago, DAB said:

try again, pic:

tables before staining, presently in pieces being finished.  done in a few days.

IMG_2755.JPG

very nice tables. Well Done!!!!

15 hours ago, John Morris said:

Now how awesome it that John! Looks like your ready to move in, lets say, tomorrow!?

What a fun project you have been undertaking, I have built several structures garage size, and it's always exciting to get it started, but by half way through, we are just ready to have it over with, I bet you could be at the stage of just wanting it to be over with right John?

I'll be out in the shop for a bit tomorrow, working on some more chair building jigs for my shaker ladder backs. I'll get some progress images up. Other than that, between shuttling our kids to some events this weekend and a barbecue with Dad, I'll be on here as well, spending some wonderful time with our Patriot Woodworkers.

Have a great weekend all!

I am ready to get on with it and start working inside. The doors got delivered this morning but when the storm came through yesterday we had straight line winds at 60 mph and it took all the paper off the roof. So we got up early this morning and had to get it back in the dry. It was in the 90's by 9:30 so after getting the roof repaired and the yard cleaned up we called it a day.

In the dry again.jpg

One thing I like about where I live - DRY HEAT

Been dodging T-Storms the last couple of days....biggies rolling through right now that match the house shake..

Maybe later, if the Dungeon Creek don't rise, I might get some woodworking done? 

Managed to do a bit of cheap ($3.50  total)  rust hunting....

saws.JPG

Saws for $3 and a tiny vise for 2 quarters..

vise or clamp.JPG

Maybe I can just clean these up, instead?