Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Ron Altier

I did use some paint

Rate this topic

I am making another ornament. Gerald asked if I used paint on one I had made. I told him that I never use paint. Then I thought, why not? I could look good if used properly. So I used some paint to make stripes. I got the finish on and promptly dropped it on the floor. AHHHHHHHHHH!  that is why you don't see a picture. I'm going to look at it tomorrow and see what I can do. I darn sure don't want to redo it. 

37 minutes ago, Ron Altier said:

I am making another ornament. Gerald asked if I used paint on one I had made. I told him that I never use paint. Then I thought, why not? I could look good if used properly. So I used some paint to make stripes. I got the finish on and promptly dropped it on the floor. AHHHHHHHHHH!  that is why you don't see a picture. I'm going to look at it tomorrow and see what I can do. I darn sure don't want to redo it. 

Hey Ron, you remember those Easter egg decorators they sold on tv, you'd put the egg into this spinning device and apply the pen applicator for the ink, and you'd get a perfect symmetrical stripe around the egg.

I was wondering if that would be a good device to have for your ornaments when you paint the stripes on?

6 hours ago, John Morris said:

Hey Ron, you remember those Easter egg decorators they sold on tv, you'd put the egg into this spinning device and apply the pen applicator for the ink, and you'd get a perfect symmetrical stripe around the egg.

I was wondering if that would be a good device to have for your ornaments when you paint the stripes on?

Unbelievable!? I just ordered one of those last Monday, unfortunately it's back ordered, the one I ordered is called an "eggbot". Really excited about the possibilities of what it will do. Not just for embellishing but also for laying out grid lines. Long term thoughts are to somehow hack it to use a one or two watt laser for etching.

Steve

Edited by Steve Krumanaker
clarification

2 hours ago, Steve Krumanaker said:

Unbelievable!? I just ordered one of those last Monday, unfortunately it's back ordered, the one I ordered is called an "eggbot". Really excited about the possibilities of what it will do. Not just for embellishing but also for laying out grid lines. Long term thoughts are to somehow hack it to use a one or two watt laser for etching.

Steve

Now that is a coincidence, unbelievable is right. Look forward to your report on how that technique works Steve.

Steve I know about grid lines and carving (bowls and twists) but how do you use them in turning eggs? Can you do lines other than straight with this gadget?

Ok just looked it up and all I can say is the possibilities are amazing.

Edited by Gerald

11 minutes ago, Gerald said:

Steve I know about grid lines and carving (bowls and twists) but how do you use them in turning eggs? Can you do lines other than straight with this gaget?

Gerald

It's not my intention to use it when turning eggs, rather for ornament globes to start with. Later, maybe spheres or even to lay out a pattern on a small hollow form. The description says it will work on egg, or cylindrical shaped objects. The one I ordered is the "ostrich egg bot" that is supposed to handle about 6" diameter objects. Time will tell if it will work as I want it to.  The picture is from the eggbot website

Steve

1@2x.jpg

grammar

13 minutes ago, Steve Krumanaker said:

Gerald

It's not my intention to use it when turning eggs, rather for ornament globes to start with. Later, maybe spheres or even to lay out a pattern on a small hollow form. The description says it will work on egg, or cylindrical shaped objects. The one I ordered is the "ostrich egg bot" that is supposed to handle about 6" diameter objects. Time will tell if it will work as I want it to.  The picture is from the eggbot website

Steve

1@2x.jpg

I can See some real commercial possibilities. How long is the backorder? I am feeling your pain waiting for that to arrive

8 minutes ago, Gerald said:

I can See some real commercial possibilities. How long is the backorder? I am feeling your pain waiting for that to arrive

I don't know, I ordered it last Monday and the website said, should ship in 3-4 business days. However, it still says that today. I did call them  and was told it should ship today or tomorrow, we'll see. I do think there will be some modifications to do what I want but nothing too major. Hopefully, the learning curve won't be too steep either. If/when I get it and get it figured out I will probably do some sort of video. I'm excited about it because I have some ideas and just do not have the artistic ability to make them a reality. Hopefully I can use this to do what I want

Steve

grammer, more information

18 hours ago, Steve Krumanaker said:

I don't know, I ordered it last Monday and the website said, should ship in 3-4 business days. However, it still says that today. I did call them  and was told it should ship today or tomorrow, we'll see. I do think there will be some modifications to do what I want but nothing too major. Hopefully, the learning curve won't be too steep either. If/when I get it and get it figured out I will probably do some sort of video. I'm excited about it because I have some ideas and just do not have the artistic ability to make them a reality. Hopefully I can use this to do what I want

Steve

When I took a quick look yesterday I thought what the...?  Spent some time looking it over and see some real possibilities there.  Can't wait to see some of the results when you get it.

Dan

1 hour ago, Ron Altier said:

Possibilities are endless, however I feel that it is so perfect that it looks plastic. An artificial creation that you may see at the dollar store:D

Ron, I agree with you 100%. I never, ever want what I do to look mass produced. My intention is to use this tool to help me draw and layout designs. Then, I will do the pryrography by hand. Trust me, when I get done with them, they WON'T be perfect! LOL.

Steve