24" Grizzly Drumsander is up and running

So I now have the 24" Drumsander up and running.

image.jpegWow does this thing really sand. I ran an end grain cutting board through yesterday that needed leveling up. Less than 5 minutes and this board was done. 

So so I got the old breaker box out and put in a new 100 amp box and ran a new line over to the sander.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

a a couple of more circuits and I can close up the wall. 

I will need to extend the power cord. It has an 8' cord on the machine but it needs to be about 12'. I'll work on that later. Got to get some projects out the door now. 

Thanks for your input Todd. 

Here is a shot of the dust collection off the top of my sander. I included shots from both the Grizzly (which is still used at my brothers shop as seen in image) and the ShopFox which is currently in my shop. 

This setup allows for easy opening of the top. 

SV101616.jpg

SV101473.jpg

DSCN0575.jpg

DSCN0577.jpg

Edited by Todd Clippinger

I always envied those large sanders. I took my large pieces to a local lumber yard and they would sand them for a fee.  I was in Amish country in Ohio and went thru their furniture factory. There I saw one that was 4 or 5 feet wide. I watched it sand a couple of big panels. WOW, would be how I'd summarize that machine. It was made in Germany 

4 hours ago, Ron Altier said:

I always envied those large sanders. I took my large pieces to a local lumber yard and they would sand them for a fee.  I was in Amish country in Ohio and went thru their furniture factory. There I saw one that was 4 or 5 feet wide. I watched it sand a couple of big panels. WOW, would be how I'd summarize that machine. It was made in Germany 

Did you go to Keim Lumber in Charm? I have spent a lot of money there in years past. 

http://www.keimlumber.com

Oh YES!  I lived in West Lafayette, less than 30 miles away from Keim. I went there a lot, not only for lumber and tools, the Amish restaurants were wonderful. Their supply of exotic wood was huge. The once had  s 6 or 8 inch slab of African wood that was about 12 feet by 6 feet. Don't remember the price, but it was in the 10s of thousands. Their assortment of pneumatic tools was amazing. Amish carpenters didn't use electricity.

Just now, Ron Altier said:

Oh YES!  I lived in West Lafayette, less than 30 miles away from Keim. I went there a lot, not only for lumber and tools, the Amish restaurants were wonderful. Their supply of exotic wood was huge. The once had  s 6 or 8 inch slab of African wood that was about 12 feet by 6 feet. Don't remember the price, but it was in the 10s of thousands. Their assortment of pneumatic tools was amazing. Amish carpenters didn't use electricity.

I am from central Ohio and have been around the Amish quite a bit. 

When talking tools with other contractors, I often tell them about the selection of pneumatic tools that are available that we don't even see on the shelves at the normal tool suppliers. But that the many of the major manufacturers have a line of pneumatic tools. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update on the 24" Grizzly sander.

I made a batch of end grain cutting boards last week. On my 16-32 sander it would take me most of a day to run them on the first grit then on to 80 and them 120. It would take most of a day and a half to do all of the sanding.

I sanded the seven boards I made start to finish in an hour and 30 minutes. This thing is awesome. It has taken more than a day out of the process. I can say for right now I am thrilled with the purchase and the sander's performance. If you are even looking for a large sander, I would recommend this sander to you.