Ebony sparks???

A few years back, I received a huge chunk of Gaboon Ebony. It originally weighed in around 60 pounds. Over the years I've cut small sections off for trim, pen blanks, etc (at the most, 3/4 inch thickness per cut). For my current project, I ripped two 6 in wide boards, using the band saw with a 3/4" blade. About a 1/2 inch into the cut, sparks began to fly. As the cut progressed I began to wonder if I was grinding metal versus cutting wood. Upon inspection, there is no metal in the wood, that can be seen. A friend suggested that its the density of the ebony that causes the sparks. Before I ripped the 2nd boards I took time to clean up all the sawdust, just in case. The second rip did the same thing only the sparks were immediate.

Is this normal? There's no burn marks in the wood and no sign of any metal. The sparks lasted throughout both cuts, so it wasn't like hitting a nail or other object. I cant replicate it with any other type of wood. I later ripped oak, walnut, and poplar with no sparks. .

I backed tracked and tried to find reference of Ebony sparking while being cut. I could find none. I saw a video of sparks being produced while some ebony was being ripped on the table saw, and now I cannot even find it. Was I dreaming? Still searching, I'll prove it!:lol: