Lathe chuck for turning bowls and cups

Lissa Hall

Excellent question!!

First thing you need to know is the specifications of the spindle threads on the head stock. That information is almost always listed in your lathe manual. If you don't have the manual, a google search for your lathe name/model number should get a quick answer. If you still can't find it, I've attached a PDF file that will help you determine what you need. Once you know the thread information you can start to look at various manufacturers. Some manufacturers offer adapters to match their chucks to various lathes.

Next thing- how much do you want to spend? Chucks range in price to around $100 to almost $500.

My first chuck was so bad it wouldn't stay tight and the threads were so sloppy that I had to wrap tape around the spindle to get it to stay on. Here's a link to a very high quality chuck maker- http://www.teknatool.com/products/chucks/nova/chuck.htm. I have a Nova Precision Midi chuck.

Precision Midi with Woodworm Screw Web.jpg

This particular chuck uses 2 "rods" to tighten and loosen the jaws. Some chucks use a "T"-handled wrench with either an Allen type shaft; others use something that resembles a drill press chuck key end. Turners all have different opinions on the 2 rod system vs. the T-handle. Personally, I don't see a lot of difference between them.

Almost all manufacturers offer chucks of various sizes. That is how wide the chucks will open and close. Depending on the size of your lathe (or projects), you may not need the largest chuck. A small mini lathe would not need a SuperNova2 chuck.

Also, look for a chuck that has an assortment of replaceable jaws. Different jaws can be used to enhance your turning techniques.

The nicest chuck I ever used is the new Easy Wood chuck- 

easy-chuck-content-one-2.jpg

It is absolutely superb in if fit and finish. Changing jaws is literally a "snap". Everything about it is head and shoulders above any other chuck.

So, you need to know the spindle thread information, your budget, the "size" of the chuck you think you'll need to match the size of your lathe and what features you would like to use/have available.

Hope I didn't confuse you. Let me know if you want more specific data.

One other thing- when you purchase a chuck, also but a spindle washer that matches the diameter of you lathe spindle threads

149358.jpg

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/149358/antilock-lathe-spindle-washer-1.aspx

Identifying Lathe Spindle Thread.pdf

1 hour ago, Lissa Hall said:

Thank you so much Lew that was very helpful.. when i was looking it open they talked about the jaws but did not go in to varying diameters and such and definitely did not tell me i needed washer either. thank you for taking the time to help out.

Glad to help. Let me know which chuck you get.

• 2 weeks later...

although i did look up the easy chuck i do like but i cant afford it right now.. sadly.. is there another brand you would recommend that would be affordable? I have a 1'' drive spindle with 8 right hand threads.... it is a very nice chuck btw guys..... but i am eager to turn a bowl or something  and would like something that i can afford in the mean time... not the cheapest but something maybe in the middle ground.... thank you for helping me... reason i cant do it right now is that i live in NC and found out i have to buy a wholel new a/c and heating system... ouch to the pocket.

Edited by Lissa Hall

Remember, this is just my opinion-

I'd go with the TeknaTool  chuck found here- http://www.teknatool.com/products/Chucks/Midi/Nova_Midi_Chuck.htm

145899.jpg

It is available from Woodcraft at this link

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/145899/nova-1-x-8-tpi-precision-midi-chuck-package.aspx

This chuck has the capabilities of being able to use other jaws form "Nova". 

The only drawback- according to some turners- is that it uses the 2 post system of tightening/loosening. I've never found this to be a problem.

• 3 years later...
1 hour ago, Kevin Beitz said:

I've made about 6 adapters for my lathe so far. 

The problem with the one's I make is there is not

through hole. It would take a lot more work to 

make a hollow adapter. But I guess I could do it...

With the one's I made I start out with large nuts

like this one.

Why could you not just drill the center out and then add the thread you need?

What size thread is it. I think nova has others and One Way may be able to make what you need

4 hours ago, Kevin Beitz said:

I would love to buy one of those chucks but no one has my spindle size...

With a OneWay Mfg chuck the chuck is bought and the adapter to fit your lathe is bought separately and installed in the chuck.  They have the size you show.

https://oneway.ca/products-category/adaptors/Oneway-Talon-Adaptors/1-1-8-8-RH-LH-Oneway-Talon

6 hours ago, HandyDan said:

With a OneWay Mfg chuck the chuck is bought and the adapter to fit your lathe is bought separately and installed in the chuck.  They have the size you show.

https://oneway.ca/products-category/adaptors/Oneway-Talon-Adaptors/1-1-8-8-RH-LH-Oneway-Talon

Wow... You found one....

1 hour ago, Kevin Beitz said:

Whats the size that it opens to?

That is why chuck use changeable jaws. Nova goes from 25mm up to 130mm. On the Nova that is the measurement of the jaws closed and that is the size that the tenon should be for the "perfect" circle grip. Note there are other chucks out there with wider jaws and I would not suggest that unless you want to turn some monster logs.