Disston D-23 Rip saw

steven newman

A  Disston D-23 needed a refrsh of it's teeth.   Has 6ppi.    Picked the shop last spring....FREE.

Bought a new file to try out.

56d72300454fd_sawfile.thumb.JPG.66a72c3c

Stanley 6"  Extra slim taper file..$5.99+tax.  Dug up a few pieces of wood to make the saw vise's jaws

56d723de4964e_sawvisejaws.thumb.JPG.1f41

had to notch them to fit around the saw's handle.   handle won't fit in the vise, plate is tto wide back there.  C clamp to hold things still...adapted the file handle to hold the new file ( tang was a bit too long) and started off down the line of all them teeth.   6 x 26"= aLOT of teeth to file.   Got a bit closer to the bench vise, things were vibrating a bit...another c clamp was added

56d724efa5943_secondclamp.thumb.JPG.736c

And we are off!  Until I got to the end of those jaws.   Mountain Dew Break!   Came back, and fought with the jaws to move everything BACK into the bench vise.  Had to add  a couple pieces out on the end..

56d7258b25d4e_jawsadd-ons.thumb.JPG.451b

Found out I can keep the file's teeth clean by just wiping the file on the leg of my jeans.   File was run at a 90 degree to the plate, tipped the file forward just a hair.  4 strokes acoss each tooth.  Had to stone the right hand side of the plate, too.   Found out there was a bit too much set on that side. ( burrs, maybe?)   gave the saw a test drive....first ones not so good.   Stoned off the burrs, waxed the plate....still wanted to follow the grain's curves...Ok, got that stuff fixed, and tried a third time..

56d726c4efb9f_testdrive.thumb.JPG.fd0a34

I marked a line to try to follow.   Normally, it would be a knife-wall.   Cuts fairly well.    Tried in some curly maple.....board's kerf would close up onto the saw plate, causing it to bind.   Might use a different saw for maple.

Next up....I have a Disston No.7, 7ppi to work over.     I think I will go out and get a better set of "jaws" first, better using the file again.   Royal PITA to shift everything around.   Full length jaws would work a bit better.