Home made tool rests

Ron Altier

After I got my Jet Mini lathe, I discovered that the tool rests were too large for small applications. So I got some cold roll steel, cut to length for the shaft, soldered on some copper pipe fittings and made my own. The larger one has a piece of electrical conduit soldered on too. The round rest on the small one works fine and I really cant tell the difference from a normal rest. I think that a round one would work well with longer rests too. I have been using them for more than 5 years now and they are still as strong as ever. 

Here are the top and side views

tool rests 1.jpg

tool rest 2.jpg

Edited by Ron Altier
no pictures first time

Love it Ron! My dad is the same way, there are more woodworking home made shop jigs and modified tool this and that laying around than there are store bought items for his shop. I see it more and more in the seasoned generation, the 60 plus year olds. Dad is in his early 80's, he doesn't throw anything away when it comes to his shop, and he'll make it before he buys it!

• 6 months later...
  • 3 years later...