Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Fred Wilson

What I found in my "wood to be burned" pile

Rate this topic

Topic Summary

Created

Last Reply

Replies

Views

Fred Wilson -
Fred Wilson -

Top Posters

So there we were, finally splitting wood for our wood burner, split one that had a branch coming out.  My grandson says, "Not, that is a great looking piece of wood".  After taking a send and third glance, I agreed with him.  Saved out out and kept splitting.  Then we ran onto another interesting piece.  Again, saved it out.

After many hours of planing, I finally got a useable piece of wood to scroll.  Only problem is - I do NOT know what kind of wood it is.  Maybe y'all can help me with it.  Below are a couple of pictures of the slab.

NaturalNaturalEagle02.JPG.b4ed1aaa926b58

NaturalNaturalEagle03.JPG.6dca4b8616f8b1

After getting it this far, the wife and I started looking for a pattern that would work on this 13" x 18" piece of wood.  Came up with the following.

NaturalNaturalEagle01.JPG.77fbbeff3bcf74

Interesting, eh?

OK, for the other piece.  Did not get a "before" picture but the final product is really neat I think.  Here is another cutting of my "Native American Portrait" pattern.  The slab is about 17" tall.

NativeWoodNative.JPG.871c7c22853d82b5867

Happy sawdusting, folks.

Nice find Fred, like Forest Gump says, "Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what's inside". Firewood is like that, ya often wonder what spectacular piece of wood we may have burned in the past to keep us warm. I have a chord of Eucalyptus I keep saying to myself I'll get out there and dig through it, see what I can come up with.

I love the Indian with the space in the feather, very nicely done.

Edited by Courtland

Lew - Maple is what I think it is since there were a couple in the 5 trees the son and I cut down.  Without the bark on it, it's tough.

John - thanks for the roses.  Love those "natural" wood projects.

Any other guesses on the wood species guys?

Wayne, as a matter of species on the last one - this one was an Oak tree that got cut.  Just happened to "play" with the splitter and a main trunk with branch.  Wish I had saved more of them.