I've been thinking about making a entertainment center for my 8 yr old daughter room. Right now the tv is on an old dresser and a flimsy bookcase was supposed to be for DVDs and books but it has became her catch all location . I don't have the best vision in the world so I don't like stepping on things and she leaves things everywhere in her room. Well enough rambling on bout that. What I like to know if I make the bottom of the entertainment center 18 inches wide and it will be 4 foot tall or so and it will be 4 to 6 feet long. Will it be stable and not fall over.  It will also be sitting on carpet flooring. The reason it's on 18 inches wide is because of the difficult door ways in my home . One door I'll have to go though at a angle is only 20 1/2 inches.  I was either thinking plywood and painting it or staining a color or 3/4 inch pine stained and lacquered. I also thought about maybe putting casters on it but that will be a last thing to think about . I was thinking pocket holes to do some of the joinery. Any suggestions or advice would be helpful with this endeavor if I decide to proceed. Thank you all for reading. 

I think the 18" would probably be stable unless your daughter would climb up on it. If the unit will be setting against a wall, you could use an "L" bracket to connect the cabinet to the wall.

For a quicker build, plywood would be the choice and then edge band the exposed edges. I have been using pocket screws for face frames on some of the cabinets I have built. They are faster than mortice and tenon joints and once the face frame is attached, everything is nice and tight.

40 minutes ago, lew said:

I think the 18" would probably be stable unless your daughter would climb up on it. If the unit will be setting against a wall, you could use an "L" bracket to connect the cabinet to the wall.

For a quicker build, plywood would be the choice and then edge band the exposed edges. I have been using pocket screws for face frames on some of the cabinets I have built. They are faster than mortice and tenon joints and once the face frame is attached, everything is nice and tight.

Lew  it's going to be up against a wall in her room. The reasoning I say I'm thinking on making this entertament center is because after all my surgeries I'm going to move away to a different location in the United States. So if I build it I want it to be able to come with. She is the kind of child who is going to climb on things but her cousins in the other hand are . So I may have to make a shorter one or maybe mount the tv to wall or something of that nature. 

Ron I may be able to make it 20 inches but it will be a tight squeeze though one doorway. I also may make a little site as well. We we thinking about Cape Coral Florda or somwhere abouts . May just end up being somewhere else in a larger city in Missouri but I'm pushing for elsewhere.

Edited by Mark Wilson

Court land I live in a small town of 2900. My mom lives with me at the time. I have 10% vision left in my right eye only. The rest of my family have their lives going on. My brothers have kids they wanna have me watch all the time . So I think after all my surgeries I'm going to move to somewhere further away . My mom will probably come with me because she is worrisome. But eventually she get her own place. Not that I don't enjoy having my other family around but I'm not a free baby sitter. I just want to do some woodworking in my own shop at my own pace and enjoy what I do. I've been thinking Cape Coral Florida because it's near ft Myers. It supposedly a good va but I'll have to do some more research. I thought about Colorado but the prices of wood their is really high. So I'm still looking around but it will be 1 or 2 years or so until my surgeries are complete from my injury.