Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

The Patriot Woodworkers with Operation Ward 57 Adopt a Wounded Warrior Family for the Holidays - 2019 project is live, please click on link to view our very special annual project.

Ron Altier

The right stuff

Rate this topic

Ron, I know you were asking about basic shop machines, but I gotta say if I could do it all over, I would have sunk my starter money into a very good high quality work bench to start off. Knowing what I know now, and as I grew into woodworking I found my self wanting of a good, heavy, traditional workbench with all the bells and whistles. Studying up on workbenches lately I have also found that either way, you make it yourself, or buy one, it's a wash in time and materials to build one. But that would have to be at the top of my dream list shop.

Then next I would have to say that all my machines would be older restored machinery, not necessarily restored by me either, because the machinery out there by restorers such as our forum host Larry Buskirk, and restorer Shane Whitlock and our own recent contributer Gerry from Bell River, I would instantly purchase machinery from any of those folks who turn old machines into art work. So if money were no factor, I'd be looking at all old American Made machinery restored to it's factory condition. 

And among the old machinery would be of course a table saw, jointer, planer, drill press, mortising machine, and a huge band saw, that's about it for the machinery. 

This is a fun discussion, I hope others chime in with their "Dream Shop"!

If you could start again with a NEW shop, if cost/space was not a factor, what basic shop machines would you buy? 

First, The shop at least 30x70' complete with Bathroom and coffee area

Tools:

Table saw

Band saw

Miter saw

Lathe both mini and large

Sanders' drum,belt and disc

Lots of light! (I can't stand working on something I can't see well.)

Industrial size dust collection system, with hoses running to all major tools.

Ahh I knew I forgot one or two.

Router and Planer

I am sure there are others I am forgetting, but those are the major ones.

Edited by Charles Nicholls