Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Dear folks, help us raise funding for our community directly. And in the process you'll have a chance to win some terrific tools donated by our sponsors!  Read More...

Bundoman

Accessorizing the rusty way! Some small finds for a cold day!

Rate this topic

It was too cold in the shop yesterday and my 7 year old daughter was "SO BORED" in the house that I suggested a trip to the local antique mall to hang out for a bit.  To my surprise, she agreed, so we went and did a little rust hunting.  Although  I cant say that we found much in the form of complete tools, it was a fun afternoon for her and I plus we did come home with a few useful and unexpected items.  I was only in for 14 bucks for the whole day and 25 cents for gumballs.

Our treasures included 2 router plane cutters that will fit nicely in my Stanley 71 which had none when I bought it, a few irons for the Stanley 45, a medallion for a Simonds saw, a full leather hide to be used for  whatever projects may come, and an old WS badged with split nuts.  The saw is a bit of a bummer as it was shortened to just the far edge of the etch.  I really bought it because I certainly have use for the split nuts and handle if I choose not to clean up what is left.  The etch is visible enough to make out Brown Cast Steel number 3 and the keystone emblem leading me to believe it is a Disston built saw.  

image.jpeg

You know come to think of it, their size is probably very useful too, I bet they find things on the lower shelves you'd of missed if you walked by too quickly! This time you spend it the most important part of these trips, no doubt, treasure it as we know you do. My kids are growing so quickly I find myself looking back frequently when they were toddlers and thinking where the heck did the time go. Two are in high school one of which well be in college this fall, and our youngest is in junior high, I really want to pull the plug on time, stack bricks on their heads, and stop the growth, I am going to miss their youth.

You are so right on all counts Courtland.  I have 4 kids from seven to senior!  The older two have come to find my hobbies less interesting and are speeding toward all grown up!  The younger two definitely still enjoy the time out hunting and do find things that I would miss to be sure!  It is going fast though and will be over we know it!