Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

The Patriot Woodworkers with Operation Ward 57 Adopt a Wounded Warrior Family for the Holidays - 2019 project is live, please click on link to view our very special annual project.

Rate this topic

I am finally looking to buy a bench top planer. I am looking real hard at the Dewalt 735 (with table attachments and blades). With coupons and military discount, the best price I have found is $580 at Lowes. However, other than my lathe, this will be the largest single purchase I have made for my shop (though if I figure in all the upgrades to my bandsaw over the years, it might drop to third place). This will also be the first purchase I make that is fully funded from the sale of various woodworking projects.

To those that have a dewalt, what's your opinion of it? Do you recommend this to others? How is it with some of the tougher exotic woods?

A few years ago I had a chance to buy rough cut, 6/4 Bubinga in 8" wide sections for about $3 /bf. Needless to say I have a hundred feet or so of this type and will be running it through the planer first thing (well maybe second after a dozen practice runs). Will the dewalt handle this? Do you feel its worth the price?

If you have a different make: Do you recommend it over the dewalt 735? Other than price, why did you go with the one you have?

I'v read A LOT of online reviews. But vast majority write a review an hour after they get the machine. I want to know about longevity, maintenance issues, customer support, etc.

20 years ago, my tool shed was black and yellow. Then about ten years ago, Dewalt started pushing out some inferior products and the color of my tools began to change (no real consistency). So I am a little hesitant when it comes to dewalt, though, if their quality has returned, I'd gladly buy again.

Thanks

Kevin

I've had mine for about 5 years or 6 years and it is going strong. It is much better than the old Bridgewood I had.

I added the infeed and outfeed tables to reduce the snipe although on long boards there is still a little snipe at each end.

Also, I made a modified exhaust adapter to divert the chips when they exit the machine. The adapter included with the planer connects in such a way that the exhaust hose is always in the way of the exiting boards. I made one that has a 90 degree bend so the hose is off to the side of the planer. 

I don't replace the blades as often as I should due to the price. I believe there is a replacement helical cutter head with carbide inserts. The carbide would last a lot longer but I think it is more expensive.

If you do get one, keep the planer table waxed and the rollers clean to make sure the boards are pulled thru without hesitation.

Another thing I did was replace the screws that hold the blades in place. Went to Fastenal and got better grade screws and some anti-seize. I read too many horror stories about stuck blade screws. So far no problems.

You'll definitely need to connect the chip exhaust to a dust collector. The chip ejector motors have an exit velocity akin to an F-14 in afterburner. Don't make the mistake I did and fire up the planer with no chip collection!

My 735X is only about 3 years old and is going strong. 

I've changed the blade twice..well, turned each set over twice. No problem with the screws but, I might just do what Lew did. 

Amazon has carbide tipped blades for $149 but I think I'll just order the stock ones. I'd really feel bad when (not if) I nicked a carbide blade. 

I rarely cut any deeper than 1/16" and, usually a little less. I don't need to hurry. 

6 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

I rarely cut any deeper than 1/16" and, usually a little less. I don't need to hurry. 

I agree, with Gene, about the depth of cut. My rule is 1/2 turn of the handle and no more. I forgot to mention that I added the Wixey depth gauge -

567448e2be500_81Er9w7EeL._SL1500_.thumb.

http://wixey.com/planer/index.html

A very worthwhile addition. Now they use AAA batteries which last even longer.