Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Kevin Wells

best place to start?

Rate this topic

When our preacher moved away, he gave me his scrollsaw. Its an older Delta model (not sure off hand of the model). When I first got it, I looked it up online and found the manual, though the model was out of production. Since I was planning a new workbench, I added a place for a scroll saw table that I could sit down at (it stows away when not being used). Now that that is completed its time to figure this thing out. I have never used a scroll saw, I'm not real sure where to begin. I am a self taught woodturner which led to many costly mistakes over the years and was hoping to find a better source for the basics before diving in.

What is a good place to start? Who are the experts with the you tube channels and blogs. I really need the basics. Something that starts off with, "This is a scroll saw..." :-)

One of our members, Fred WIison, is an expert scroll sawer. Try sending him a message.

http://thepatriotwoodworker.com/profile/2944-fred-wilson/

I haven't seen him post for a little while but I think he is still active. Personally, I can't be much help. I have an old scroll saw but only use it when I have to.

Kevin

First off welcome to the wonderful world of scrolling. There is a YouTube channel, Qwinette Woodworkers with a great video or 2 of scrolling. As for blogs and stuff. Look up Steve Good,  he runs a blog and offers free patterns from very easy to somewhat difdicult. I have been scrolling fir quite a few years. Not an expert but normally do very challenging patterns and design a lot of my own. 

There is  some information to get you started on. Next is some advice for a beginner.  First of all have fun. You are going to make tons of mistakes learning. We all did and still do. I have a box of designer firewood in my shop. Second be patient, don't be in a hurry you'll get so frustrated and that's  not good. As for books. When I get home I can look some up for you. Some are very basic and I don't want to give you the wrong title to start on.

Thanks

Wayne

Kevin - easy to get hooked on scrolling.  The more you practice, the more you WANT to cut, the challenges keep getting a little more and befoe you know it, you will be cutting with the "experts".

There are a lot of resources "out there".  several have already been mentioned.  As far as practicing is concerned, I have a couple of pages I can send you when I get home (away on family funeral).  As an alternative to these practice pages, I can also suggest scribbling on a piece of wood and then, using your scroll saw, follow your lines.  Helps in 1-following a pattern, 2-Learning soft curves, and 3-Learning sharp corners.

These are the basics, the rest comes with practice and your own self-taught techniques.  Of course, let us know your questions and we will be more than happy to help.