Needed to find a place for a vise

steven newman

That I picked up at the tractor fest.   A bright red Craftsman 7" wood worker's vise.

vise.thumb.JPG.66182d2ae6efda9ceccf1b8eb

But, about the only spot on my bench would have been the end of the bench.    Grabbed the vise, and a pencil, juggled things around until I had marked a spot out for it.     The "End cap" on my bench is just a 2 x4.    Needed to notch it in such a way, that i could add two lag screws.   needed it to be lower than the bench's top, too.    Finally, juggled a bit more, and marked a spot.    It sat between the bolts for the bench's legs.   Had to miss them.    Sabresaw to do the vertical cuts......horizontals weren't working.   Got out the circular saw...one pass and done.   Big chisel to finish the notch.   Had to notch a bit into a leg, though.

notch.thumb.JPG.f8570ba39cdfade557686d9c

This is seen from below.  More about that pine stuff in a bit.    had a Hammerhead driver set up

hammerhead.thumb.JPG.7f3c004d85a1393088a

Got some big screws, and got the vise installed...

vise_install.thumb.JPG.d0411ab66977c49dd

But, I wasn't quite done with this thing.   needed some "jaws" made.   had some 1x4 pine.    Cut it to length, saved the cut-off.    More juggling with a pencil.     Needed to mark a mortise of sorts.  needed the top of the pine to be just a hair higher than the bench's top.   Needed to remove enough wood to cover the metal part screwed to my bench.   Once a few lines were marked out, time for a BIG clamp, and a chisel or two

clamped_pine.thumb.JPG.8d8cc1d012bebe132

And start to chop away what didn't need to be there.   At one point, the chisel hopped up and bit my hand!    Not a slice, just a bounce off.   made a mess.  that Aldi chisel is quite sharp!..  This was more like a mortise for a hinge.  About 1/2" deep, little over 3" front to back, and 7" wide....Whew.    Took a break, to get a bandaid, and a fan.....hot down there.   Got pretty close, and pared to the lines..

pared_lines.thumb.JPG.a67aac7e292242abbd

Something like this.    Laid out for some countersunk screw holes, and drilled them.    Including the pilot holes.   Slapped the pine face into place, Hammerhead to drive more screws

screwed_in_place.thumb.JPG.b899e4a0c8869

About like this.  The extra was just sitting there.  Then I closed the vise up,set the moving face into it's spot, and added more screws.    Ran the vise in and out a few times.....needed oil on the metal parts that move.  Closed it back up

closed_vise.thumb.JPG.39f1fb79481c7adadc

Grabbed a jack plane, and planed everything flush with the bench's top.    Block plane to add a champfer arounf a few edges. and a coat of BLO to the outside.   Opened it back up, to check for any droop

opened_vise.thumb.JPG.96ede6905e65132cb0

I think this $10 vise is finally installed.  Lots of cussing, and a cut hand.   had to go to the store to get a couple lag screws and washers....put them in place tomorrow, I am tuckered out. 

BTW: that Aldi's chisel?   It was part of a 4 pc set @ $7.    The one I was using? was about 7/8" wide, and so is the cut on my hand.   I sharpened it went I got them, haven't had to since.

Been  informed that I need to make the moving part of the jaws thicker, so it can hold a "dog"  otherwise, so I've been told, it won't work as an end vise????

Well,,,,I have the lags and washers, now.    I can scrounge around and find a thicker block to put on the moving jaw.  Drill a 3/4" diameter dog hole, inline with the ones in the bench's top.  

Maybe I use a Sharpie, and write BenchKrafted on it? 

Well,having to lay down on the shop floor to install them lags wasn't my idea of fun....Pilot hole and lags installed.....Breaktime!

Found a chunk of 5/4" stock.   It was a little bit too big, but the circular saw soon had it down to a decent size.    Clamped it up in the vise.    Remove the screws holding the movable face in place, one at a time.  More pilot holes.   LONGER #8 screws to replace the short ones.   New face is now attached to the vise.   Why the new one, and onto the old one?    had to build it up a bit. 

Laid out where a dog hole would go..

layout.thumb.JPG.02dcbabb2950e74c7dee7fe

Ok, what we have here:  That black thing is one of the dogs.  Drill bits?  Needed to fit the right size. You can see the added on face of the vise.   5/4" + 3/4"= 2"??  Was aiming for the center of the thicker half.  Got out a cordless drill, and chucked a bit up in it..

cordless_drill.thumb.JPG.835ecc2e8f86321

PEXTO 12" sweep brace.  Took a couple tries to get to the right depth..

drilling_a_dog_hole.thumb.JPG.1d059fb49e

That be a Samson chuck on the drill.   Installed the dogs..

dogs.thumb.JPG.c6d3dac33e71a12fab22f7ef9

And gave this a test drive.

test_drive_1.thumb.JPG.91ce764b1c8bb6ee1

Seemed to work...decided to add a couple more.  So, laid out two more holes, and got busy with the cordless drill, again..

dog_holes.thumb.JPG.2f6ad5085c779fab4c9a

after all, I do have 4 of them dogs I can use.   Ok, note the four screws in the red part of the vise.  Those go through the thinner board, and into the thicker one.  I added four others out on the ends.  Once the holes were drilled, I could come back and jack plane the top flush with the bench's top, again.   Gave this set up a test drive, again

test_drive_2.thumb.JPG.911a10a1a3d39a6a7

Four dogs hold this inplace.  Might just workout.

finished_vise.thumb.JPG.3d19cdc43d216aad

Gave the edges a champfer with a block plane.   I think I can call this done.   Price?  Counting hardware I had to buy......$12.08 counting tax.   I think I can live with that?