Wednesday's Wisdom For Woodturners June 10, 2015

lew

The humidor project is slowly progressing. Usually, with any project, I do two things 1). buy another tool and 2). use the lathe. Well so far, no new tools are needed- Dang! And, how can the lathe be used in a cabinet construction???

Never fear, I found a way to put the lathe to use-

post-3380-0-84538200-1433946976.jpg

Cut the dowels to length

post-3380-0-47014500-1433946948.jpg

Mark the angles

post-3380-0-34610100-1433946982.jpg

Cut the angles

post-3380-0-52314000-1433946942.jpg

Test fitting

post-3380-0-60642400-1433946987.jpg

The new home waiting to be filled

post-3380-0-87678100-1433946952.jpg

I was waffling back and forth about how to fasten the humidor top. The top is more like a picture frame so the movement should be minimum. I decided to go with a 3 point attachment using pocket screws for 2 of the points and a slotted hole for the third. The local Borgs only had poplar and oak pocket hole plugs and even those had a lot of material that needed to be sanded away for the finish fit. I wanted to filled holes to be as "unnoticeable" as possible and needing as little sanding as possible. These were made from Spanish cedar- same as the humidor liner.

Popular Woodturning put up a new Tim Yoder video. In this one Tim turns a cute little mouse-

Last week I mentioned that Mr. David Smith was now writing for "More Woodturning Magazine". Turns out (no pun intended) that this magazine is now the sister publication of the Woodturning On Line site. I have been posting links to this site almost every month. Woodturning On Line is a great resource for turning projects and tutorials. I think I'll invest the $25 for a years subscription. Anyway, here is the link for this months Woodturning On Line's newsletter-

http://www.woodturningonline.com/

Lots of neat projects! Check out the jig for making a really neat bowl. Or, if you are into smaller projects, how about making a wooden finger ring.

Finally, if you are looking for some turning inspirations, check out this link from the Woodworkers Journal-

http://http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/michael-roper-love-woodturning/

post-3380-0-63262400-1433948281.jpg

Safe Turning!

I actually got to spend some time watching wood spin tonight also. No pictures yet but was able to turn 16 pizza cutter and ice cream scoop handles. The 8 spalted maple ones are currently soaking in hardener and the others are on the drying rack after receiving their first few coats of urethane. 

Lew, mine use a stud that gets epoxied into the handle. I drill and tap the handles to match the threads on the studs.

I turned 10 more tonight along with a half dozen French rolling pins. Soon I hope to have my inventories up to an acceptable level (as soon as I figure out what that is).