UHMWPE or Delrin ?

Cliff

Lots of folks rely on UHMWPE for wear points and such.

I've been looking into Delrin.

It's really great stuff,  Machines like a dream come true. It has excellent thermal properties in that it does not transfer heat very  well at all.  and will not soften  until it hits  about  130C  which is way far past boiling water.  It is biochemically  inert and  is a go to material for joint replacements.

It has TEN TIMES the creep resistance of UHMWPE~!!!!!   wow.

Creep for those who don't know is the tendency of plastics ( and all other materials too)  to move and deform under pressure ( or no pressure sometimes).

Which Material is best for Wear resistance?  It Depends

Running against a smooth surface like machined steel or other metal Deltin is as good maybe better.  In rough areas like where there's grit   and  nasty surfaces  UHMWPE will do better.

It one truly wants a bearing material the look to Rulon.  But it doesn't machine so nicely as Delrin.

Shatter resistance?

UMHW is more shatter resistant, but it's pretty gosh darn hard to break Delrin.

I may prefer Delrin for more things because it's performance in the shop will be as good as UMHW.  but the machining characteristics are far, far better.

I bought a 2" diameter bar.   Turned a little Wheel for  my Fence.  Then started reading about the material.

I got Delrin because  about a thousand years ago, when I was still working machine shops, I  had a couple jobs cutting Delrin and found the stuff to be a sweet dream to machine so I  figured it'd be nice to  use to make a wheel. 

Turns out  my memory  was validated.  the stuff is magical.

• 4 years later...
On 12/9/2019 at 3:44 PM, Kevin Beitz said:

Wish I had a way to find out just what I have.

there is a dead easy way

Get a known polymer  of the sorts you  believe yours might be that you want to test.   Get just a wee skosh of the stuff from a friend or buy it

Hold it in a tweezer and put a lit match to it ,  blow it out as soon as it smokes and sniff the smoke.  NO TWO PLASTiCS SMELL THE SAME and you will never forget  a smell.