My Easy Wood tool review- easy finisher and detailer

John Hechel

Oh boy where to start? I wish I could keep them all!

All the tools in the kit were very comfortable to use and they fit wonderfully in my hand. the finish on the handles was so flawless I was afraid to set them down and risk scratching them.

The easy finisher,

I found the easy finisher to be great for cutting coves and curves. I was challenged when I tried to use it for smoothing a cylindrical turning, I usually wound up creating a spiral pattern in the piece that took a bit of sanding to smooth out.

If I had taken the time to watch the DVD and practice I probably would've been more successful using it. it was very easy to use and cut cleanly.

I found this tool to be very useful and feel it is a good fit for my turning skill level and projects

The Easy Detailer,

I wish the detailer had a sharp point instead of the rounded tip. I think the sharp point would make it easier to cut fine details and sharp grooves. I used it to cut a slight cove in the end grain of a bottle stopper and it worked for this task, however I do think I could've made the same cut with the finisher tool. To be fair and give it other chances I used it to put some other details in turnings. While it worked for this and cut nice and clean I currently do not see a need to add it to my tool arsenal.

To sum up my cutting tool reviews 2 out of 3 isn't bad. The 3rd was a good tool however it wasn't one I currently have a use for.

Tomorrow or the next day I'll be reviewing my favorite, the Chuck!

John, great review and thanks for the information, I am curious though, the Easy Detailer does have a sharp tip as seen here

detailer-2.jpg

And you made a great point about the video, I had a chance to use all three tools and I found that after I watched the video and gained a few tips, they worked beautifully the second time around.

What type of lathe do you own? Not that it matters for the tools, I am only curious is all.

Great tools, aren't they!

For me, I wish the detailer had an optional tip that was flat on one end, instead of the rounded "point". I like your idea of a "sharp point, too. Maybe they could make an additional cutter with a sharp point and a "flat" point.

Great tools, aren't they!

For me, I wish the detailer had an optional tip that was flat on one end, instead of the rounded "point". I like your idea of a "sharp point, too. Maybe they could make an additional cutter with a sharp point and a "flat" point.

Hey Lew, what am I missing here, doesn't the Easy Detailer have a sharp point, both you and John referred to that tool having a rounded point, I don't see it. Calgon take me away! :lol:

Hey Lew, what am I missing here, doesn't the Easy Detailer have a sharp point, both you and John referred to that tool having a rounded point, I don't see it. Calgon take me away! :lol:

post-3380-0-50882600-1429646836.png

The cutter has a rounded point. John would like a "sharp" point. For me , I think a "flat" point would be beneficial. Maybe the folks at Easy Wood Tools could come up with an additional cutter that had one of each.

attachicon.gif— EWT Genuine Carbide Cutters Product Page « Easy Wood Tools_2015-04-21_16-05-25.png

The cutter has a rounded point. John would like a "sharp" point. For me , I think a "flat" point would be beneficial. Maybe the folks at Easy Wood Tools could come up with an additional cutter that had one of each.

AHA! gotcha! I did not really see that as rounded, but it is. A true point would be, well, pointy wouldn't it? Thanks for the clarification.