Laundry Basket Dresser

My latest project has been a weird one.  My wife's cousin asked me if I would build a pair of dressers to hold laundry baskets.  In lieu of conventional drawered dressers, she wanted two open faced dressers that she could use laundry baskets as drawers.  I finished the first one today and it was the smaller one of the pair.  It is 92" long, 32" tall and 21" deep.  I used 3/4" cabinet grade poplar plywood and may the face from solid poplar.  These will be sealed and painted but not by me.  Yea!!!  The next dresser is 92" x 47" X 21".  Seems a bit top heavy to me but hey, that's what the customer wanted.  The completed one is extremely heavy and I can't wait to see how much the big one weighs.

post-3508-0-32220800-1428015309.jpg

post-3508-0-07064500-1428019950.jpg

That's a nice looking piece there Ron!

The "Basket Drawers" are something that has become very popular in residential use these days. But the same principle has been in use for many years  pre-school classrooms as well as many elementary classrooms as storage for different types of toys, games, building blocks, books, etc. I have made sets of "Cubbies" for my wife's class for the kids to put there books and papers in, but some of the "Cubbies" she has baskets that are pulled out for specific teaching/training/therapy depending on the specific kid.

The only real down side to the baskets is that down the road a basket may break and then you may not be able to find an identical one to replace it.

My wife requested something similar in our old home. Except the bottom shelf had a door on it which opened to a chute straight to the laundry room where it fell in a big basket by the washer. She loved it. Our present home requires carrying the laundry down two long flights of stairs. I'm usually the one who does that. I sure miss that chute!! :(