Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
lew

Easy Wood Tools Review Part 2

Rate this topic

This is a continuation of the Easy Wood Tools review.

Included in the “kit†were Easy Wood’s three basic turning tools: The Easy Rougher, The Easy Finisher and the Easy Detailer. These were the mid sized tools. The first thing you notice, when picking them up, is the comfortable design and the quality of the finish. The long handles and square tool bars provide excellent control. I found virtually no vibration during the turning process, even when the tool was extended over the tool rest. Easy Wood has even provided a “safety†marker to indicate the maximum safe overhang during turning.

I used each of the tools during the turning the project’s base, starting with the Easy Rougher. I only used the Rougher’s square cutter; however, the radius cutters were included in the kit. The base of the project was walnut. The Rougher peeled off ribbons of shaving better than any of my sharpest gouges. I had thought that the square cutter might dig in at the corners but this was not the case. I had absolutely no trouble making flat cuts across a long surface. The flat cutter worked exceptionally well to do beading cuts, also.

Next, I tried the Easy Finisher to make cove cuts in the walnut. Just like the Rougher, shavings peeled off effortlessly. I had used the Finisher to hollow out the inside of the vessel but the cutter was still sharp and left a smooth surface. The bowl portion of the turning was saturated with CA glue to stabilize the punky spalted wood. Even that did not dull the finisher's cutter. The straight tool bar worked well for hollowing the modest curve on the inside of the vessel- this can be seen in the previous video of the chuck review.

Finally, the Easy Detailer made quick work of the transitions between various parts of the base turning. Not only could I create small recesses, the sides of the long point can be used almost like a wide scraper to finesse a delicate profile or assist in making beading cuts.

A couple of things I needed to get used to when working with these tools. I found I had a tendency to set the tool rest a little too high for optimum cutting. But, after a while, the positioning was much easier. The other thing I needed to get use to was to present the tools 90° to the work piece; unlike most traditional turning tools which are mostly used with the handle angled towards the floor- another easy adjustment on my part.

In the “if I had my wish†department, I’d like to see a detailing cutter with a squared off point in addition to the rounded one. It is nice to be able to add crisp corners to the bottom of some small cuts.

A short video (~ 3 minutes) showing the tools in use- along with the Easy Chuck. I removed all of the sound. YouTube flagged a couple of my videos. Apparently the background music from the oldies station was clear enough to cause copyright concerns. Cecil B. DeMille certainly has nothing to worry about.

Next week, the finished turning and some final thoughts.

Lew, another great review sir. Thank you for taking the time to test the tools and provide your feedback. Nice video too, I think Cecil DeMille would approve regardless what YouTube feels!

These are a wonderful set of tools, before we shipped them off I had a chance to feel them, see them, hold them and you tell the distinct USA quality in the tools. I did not try them out because I wanted the testers to have a new set of tools.

Thanks again Lew!

Nice reviews, nice ribons coming of those tools. I'm a little intimidated when it's my turn, I don't think I'll be able to express myself as well and no camera for videos, but I'll do my best. I'm looking forward to my turn, again good work.

Jaime

Hey Jaime, they should be making their rounds soon enough again, we'll give you a heads up when they head out your way! Thanks for your interest.