Friday, Feb 6th, What's on Your Patriot Woodworker Agenda?

John Moody

We have had a blast of the Northern cold air here for a few days but thankfully it is gong to be back in the 60's this weekend and next week.

Shop time has been a bit limited this past week due to work and taking care of things around the house.  have however started getting ready for my Show season. This week I got all the pieces cut, joined and planed for seven large cutting boards along with a couple of other projects.

post-3498-0-83071000-1423255692.jpg

I have a new tool order for the shop from Grizzly. As a matter of fact it has been on order since the last of December and I am being told it is back order till the 20th of this month. As big as they are and all I have heard about their store, I am finding it hard to believe they don't have an 8" jointer in stock. Of course I can't think of any reason they would be lying to me either. I am sure looking forward to getting it here and installed though.

So what is going on in your Patriot Woodworker shop and what is on your Patriot Woodworker agenda this weekend?

We here at TPW love to see all of the great projects you make and love to hear about them as you are getting them ready. So share with us you woodworking plans this weekend.

I am off to the house to have a large Maple Tree in my yard taken down and taken to the saw mill.

I'll check back in with you all later....

John,

I'll have to send you some real Yankee Northern cold air.

It made it to 30° here today, which is quite a bit warmer than it was yesterday.

We had a high of 18° with Wind Chills aproaching -15°.

I'll be recuperating from shoveling snow for the past 3-4 days. :wacko:

If I get around to it I'll be loading Windows 10 on my better hardware. :D

Found  a display cabinet at my Daughter's new house she is renting.   Kind of cheap, falling apart, BUT......there is something I can do with it

post-3502-0-25642300-1423271889.jpg

There is a pane of real glass in the door.   Seems to be something Ikea might sell.  

post-3502-0-21949700-1423271981.jpgNot much else seems to be worth anything. 

The paper thin plywood will just be tossed out.  Went to Lowes and spent $20 ( got 65 cents in change back) and walked out with enough thin project wood to rebuild this thing.

post-3502-0-01977700-1423272131.jpg

Because, I think I can do better than this.....

Give me a week or so, we'll see.....

John, I hope Grizz' doesn't keep you on pins and needles much longer. You are gonna love that machine.

And Roy, hope you have an easy driven and an easier assembly. What kind are you getting?

Friday was spent setting up our new computer and figuring out Windows 8.1.

Also changed some light bulbs in the kitchen. The fixtures are limited to 60W. (I can't imagine what the builder...me... was thinking) We stuck in some 100W equivalent LEDs. Man-O-Man, what a difference! Today, I''l change out the overheads in the family room. 10' ceilings means a taller ladder. Not to steady on it, but the walls are close. ;)   Can't wait to get some replacements for the T8s in the shop. As soon as my supplier gets the 8 footers, I'm in.

Life got in the way last week. Didn't get my wooden hinges even started. Maybe this weekend. Though, I do need to build a small thickness sanding jig. Building jigs are my form of procrastination.

I have all kinds of things that I could do in the shop, but probably won't get a single one of them done. My wife is off for the next 10 days as her school district takes only 2 weeks off for the Christmas/Winter break as opposed to 3 weeks like the other school districts in our area. My wife's district take that 3rd week in February and call it "President's Week" as there are the 2 Monday holidays. So that means that Tami and I get to spend a lot of time together which we both love to do. Next week we will be taking a day and going to Disneyland and then a get a hotel for the night. Then we will spend a day along the coast as we love getting our toes in the sand. The rest of her time off she wants to do some stuff inside the house. So we will see how things go.

I''m getting my pile of PC parts together so I can see how Windows 10 (or should it be Windows X?) works on my slightly better hardware.

I'll post an update when I get something done.

It's going to be slow going though, I got my left hand caught in the log splitter yesterday. :o  :blink:

I don't need anyone to beat me up, I do alright on my own. :wacko:  :lol:

Roy, stop in here, and we will put it together!

As long as we are done by 6pm, as that is when I leave for work.

Steven, you're not too far away from Springfield.  I've got the drill press in the back of the truck and thinking I may go and start the assembly pretty soon.  The box is about 240 pounds and the guy at Wood Werks told me the easy way was to open the box in the truck and carry the parts in individually.  They said lifting the head onto the column was the tough part, at least a two man job, but they said it's easier to put it together laying down on the floor and tipping it up after assembly.  The drill press is a 17" Steel City.  I compared them and the 17" Jet.  I picked the Steel City due to it having a 6 inch stroke compared to the Jet 5 inch, and the Steel City has a bigger motor.  The work table on the Jet is bigger which would have been nice, but the main thing that swayed me over was the sale on Steel City for 25% off which made it better than $200 less than the Jet.  It's replacing an old Craftsman that my dad bought back in the early 50's.  It still works but it's tired, the quill slips in and out and it has a few other issues.  It's going to come home with me to the basement and get used for the occasional needs around the house.  The kids should appreciate the new one.

Well, just got back home from the Hospital (again)  They think they might have what is ailing me down pat now.   Still off work, not allowed behind the wheel of a car.   Not really allowed down stairs, including The Dungeon Shop's.   We will see about that last part.   Go see a doc next Tuesday, about returning to work....then another the week after about what they will do about the "stones" in the right inner ear.   Seems they move around, and cause all sorts of problems.    Neck Arteries are twisted, too, but only 30% blockage....

Guess I am  on the "DL" for awhile.....

Well, just got back home from the Hospital (again)  They think they might have what is ailing me down pat now.   Still off work, not allowed behind the wheel of a car.   Not really allowed down stairs, including The Dungeon Shop's.   We will see about that last part.   Go see a doc next Tuesday, about returning to work....then another the week after about what they will do about the "stones" in the right inner ear.   Seems they move around, and cause all sorts of problems.    Neck Arteries are twisted, too, but only 30% blockage....

Guess I am  on the "DL" for awhile.....

Take care of yourself Steve. The Planes will be okay by themselves for a while.