Courtland

Please Tell Me I Am Not the Only One!

Rate this topic

I have some oddities in my shop. I try to be as organized as I can and some of my organizational methods, ehem, are somewhat to be desired to say the least! I have for years stored the chuck key to my Rockwell Delta Drill Press in a location that I know where it always is, and it also serves a secondary purpose as well.

Here is the my beloved Delta Rockwell Drill Press.

post-3922-0-38791800-1419719069.jpg

And the place I keep the chuck key, the original chuck key that came with the drill press is here.

post-3922-0-21113800-1419719126.jpg

Please tell me I am not the only one that has an oddity in the shop such as this. This gate keeper, errr I mean chuck key has served it's purpose there for a decade since I have had this particular drill press. The chuck key is stationed right out the side door of my garage and my drill press is right next to the side door of the garage, I literally take two steps out the side door and I have the chuck key to use for my drill press. I always know where it is, it has never rusted from rain, and it keeps the gate latch secured. This is the gate that separates our side yard from strangers off the street. I have fought this feeling of shame for years now, not having a legitimate location to keep my chuck key, yes, I could keep it at the drill press, you know I actually did that once, and I lost it! Just to find it a day later, and I promptly installed it back in the gate latch where it serves double duty to this day. So there, I have confessed, and I feel great!

Please tell me I am not the only one!

Oh jeez, great! Guilt is back, I am a horrible shop keeper, I opened up to you guys and this is what I get, solitary confinement, outcast. I thought for sure there were others like me, completely irresponsible with shop organization, weird habits, and more, but I am all alone! Oh the horror of it all! :wub:

Well, I have always found that with drill chuck keys that it is best to attach them to the electrical cord of the drill. Whether it is a corded hand drill or on my drill press by attaching it to the cord I never lose it and it is always at the ready. The drill chuck key is a "T" so that when it is attached to the cord you are turning the key with the "T" so that there is no damage to the electrical cord.

post-3470-0-70867100-1420059693.jpg

Well, I have always found that with drill chuck keys that it is best to attach them to the electrical cord of the drill. Whether it is a corded hand drill or on my drill press by attaching it to the cord I never lose it and it is always at the ready. The drill chuck key is a "T" so that when it is attached to the cord you are turning the key with the "T" so that there is no damage to the electrical cord.

attachicon.gif2014-12-31 12.57.58.jpg

Great tip Allen! I just need to get off my but and perform that little tune up is all.

a string a heavy nut and a eye screw will keep that key on the drill press.

put a eye bolt somewhere on the drillpress out of the way. then tie the chuck key to one end of the string.  run the string through the eye and then tie the nut to the other end.

the string will remind you the chuck key is in the machine and when you take it out the nut will pull it back to the eye, where it will always be.

go to the depot and get a magna latch for the gate.

And yes, you ARE the only one, lol.

a string a heavy nut and a eye screw will keep that key on the drill press.

put a eye bolt somewhere on the drillpress out of the way. then tie the chuck key to one end of the string.  run the string through the eye and then tie the nut to the other end.

the string will remind you the chuck key is in the machine and when you take it out the nut will pull it back to the eye, where it will always be.

go to the depot and get a magna latch for the gate.

And yes, you ARE the only one, lol.

Gee, thanks a lot Mike :) So there is no possible way I can get any of you to admit to your deficiencies is there? Am I the only human being here? :lol:

I have about 10 Porter Cable router collet wrenches Gene!

They're all the same size too, I'll bet. I have a bunch, also. And, not one has a hanging hole. Bosch was kind enough to put holes in theirs. 

One set of my PC wrenches are the bent type. They rate a special drawer next to the router table. Couldn't live without these bent wrenches.

I keep the key to my drill press on an extend-able self retracting key chain like holder. Hope that makes sense. It is magnetic and works great. If not for this I would have to live with a single drill bit setup. So you can imagine what my organizations skills are like. My shop is basically my unorganized organized home. It works for me :) so far that is. Someday I will learn how to post pictures here.

I have a number of oddities in my shop but nothing as wacked out as using my chuck key as a gate latch.

My key is kept in a plastic clip that came with the DP. Hand drill keys are taped to the plug end of the cord.

I can always count on some love here! Whacked out! Ok, I admit it, I am whacked out :D